Thursday, December 16, 2010

Bargains Are Great, But Freebies Are Better!





Today, Writing Straight from the Heart is joining Junkin Finds from Linda's blog, A La Carte , http://www.alacarte.blogspot.com/  and Show and Tell Friday from Cindy's blog, My Romantic Home, http://www.myromantichome.blogspot.com/  Give yourself a holiday treat by visiting both of these blogs when you have a few free minutes. You will be so glad you did.


Last spring, while driving along a street in a fairly upscale neighborhood, my eyes zoomed over to the side of the road.  

Two adorable childrens' rockers had been placed on the strip of green grass in front of a ranch house. Pretty good-sized Easter bunnies, one yellow and  pastel green, sat on the rockers.

Passing the bunnies and chairs, I drove about a block and turned the car around. Luckily, a teenager driving in our car had more nerve than me. He agreed to go up to the door of the house and ask if the chairs and bunnies were being given away. They were!

When I heard they were free, I hopped out of my car, opened the trunk, and stuffed them inside.

Seriously, the chairs are in perfect condition without as much as a scratch on them. They are solid and heavy. Why in the world anyone would just give them away is beyond my imagination but I'm not going to question it.




This holiday season, animated animals who sing and move when their paws are pressed, sit in one of the chairs. Two sweet doll babies grace the other chair. (If you want to read about the dolly in the red dress, check this blog for Monday, December 13th. The archive can be found right in the sidebar.)

It's really true. Bargains are good at any time of the  year but freebies are even better!

Happy holidays to all!

WHAT IS THE BEST "FREE" TREASURE YOU EVER FOUND? CAN YOU REMEMBER?

13 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Those rockers are gorgeous! What an amazing free find. I don't know that I've ever found something 'free' but I keep those eyes of mine open just in case. Thanks for joining JFF!
hugs,
Linda

diane stetson said...

I got a free rocker for a child from my friend and it is being used each time a grandson comes to my house. I love it and when they are not here I have Elmo sitting proudly on it.

Linda O'Connell said...

Love those freebies too. I have been known to drive in reverse, come to a screeching halt and hop out to get a goodie on the side of the road.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Those are great freebies. My husband years ago, got a Weber Grill from the side of the road. Perfect condition. It just needed a screw. One persons trash is another ones treasure.

mo said...

Hi Susan, When I saw the pictures of the beautiful dolls in the rocking chair over at Cindy's I knew it was yours. The rocking chairs are just wonderful. And in fantastic condition. They were just meant to be with you. Anything free that I treasure was handed down to me from my grandmother...*hugs*

Claus said...

A coffee table, just up my block. My mom and I were on our way to ran some errands one Saturday, when we spotted the round, wooden table right outside a house, within a pile of trash. It was obviously being thrown away, so I jump out of the car, and carried the table back home. The following day we examined the table, and only had a few problems on the lower part of the legs. We cut the damaged parts, cleaned it, sanded it, and varnished it. It now is the coffee table in one living room :o) ...and no one knows where it came from ;o)
have a lovely day!!

Bookie said...

Wow, you got a nice deal! It pays to keep our eyes and minds open!

T's Daily Treasures said...

I can't believe someone would give those rockers away. They are fabulous! Lucky you to happen upon them when you did. Have a wonderful weekend. :) Tammy

Kathleen said...

They say one man's junk is another man's treasure and your chairs look like treasures to me. Lucky you!

LDH said...

You found treasures! Just beautiful. I am so happy for you because I know the thrill of coming across something like that!

Karen Lange said...

Treasures are always nice:)
Blessings to you and your readers,
Karen

Chatty Crone said...

Free treasures are always a wonderful gift. Love the chairs. sandie

Terri Tiffany said...

The chair is beautiful!! Sometimes we just get tired of our stuff and give it away. I have a room full of things headed to the thrift store this week--cookie jars I don't use and my grandma's coat rack. Hopefully someone will love them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails