Monday, May 27, 2019

Memorial Day in the USA


Memorial Day in America is lots of things----parades, hamburgers and hotdogs on grills, and a day off from work.

All the hoopla is also tinged with sadness since it is a day to remember soldiers who went off to wars and never came home.

Can you even imagine what that must be like for a mother or father?

Their son or daughter, raised from the time they took their very first breath, joins the U.S. Armed Forces, is sent away, and gets killed, all in the name of freedom.

All the photos of childhood ballet recitals, ball games, high school graduations, and trophies from sports are left behind, bringing back only memories instead of soldier daughters and sons.

Never again will they give them hugs or see them move forward in their lives.

Whenever I see the American flag rippling in a breeze, it touches my heart and often even makes my eyes fill with tears.

What a price some people have paid for this precious gift of freedom.

Today, we remember...

WHO DID YOU KNOW WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY?


4 comments:

diane stetson said...

My very first love and he will always be remembered as long as I live.

Red Rose Alley said...

My brother-in-law was in the Vietnam war, but he came home safely. My mother-in-law prayed every day and didn't sleep much that whole time. My father was also in the war way back then, but he came home to my mother. : ) Your words are always so heartfelt, Susan. You're such a caring and loving person.

~Sheri

TARYTERRE said...

happy memorial day.

Chatty Crone said...

When I see one of those huge American Flags blowing in the wind - man I get chills and I am so thankful to God to be here. Love, sandie

Related Posts with Thumbnails