Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Miracle of Life



For the past nine months, I have dutifully kept a secret. 

Today, it's revealed.

This week, my beloved hubs and I became a  grandpa and grammie!  Yup, that's right, sweet blog peeps! 

Here she is! Our beloved brand new first time-in-a-lifetime granddaughter!


My exquisitely perfect sweet petunia has now seen her first light of day.

Those of you who already crossed this threshold in life know the intense joy of the occasion.  

For those who have not yet gone there, let me tell you, being a grandparent is the thrill of a lifetime.

Waiting for the phone call  that she was finally born come from the hospital just about turned me into a basket case.

 I could barely breathe while waiting for the cell phone to signal the alarm.

When my son-in-law finally sent a text message to me, there was a photo of my baby granddaughter attached.  

To say my heart nearly stopped is an understatement. Staring intently into the photo and seeing that little face for the first time made my heart race a million miles a minute.

My hubs and I stopped to get a bouquet of white and yellow roses and baby's breath for our daughter and then headed for the hospital.
I looked through the glass window of the nursery with tears in my eyes. 

That little rascal, my granddaughter, four hours old, was in a sitting position in the bassinet, with the nurse holding her, of course. 

My dear son-in-law sat next to the bassinet, too. He's been an exemplary papa from day one. Our daughter, too, has been a dedicated and loving mama-in-training. Now she's the real deal!

When we finally got back to the room, and it was my turn to hold the precious bundle, I thought I was going to die from joy.

I cradled her in my arms and guess what? She opened  her eyes, just a few hours old, mind you, and looked straight into my own eyes. It was as if she were thinking, "Okay, whose voice do you belong to?"


Being a grandparent is a totally awesome experience.  My heart feels like it's going to burst into a million pieces.

It's that filled with love for this tiny creature who was safe and secure inside her mommy just a few days ago.


Now, here she is, in perfect form. Tiny fingers and toes are all in order and a bow tie mouth is a replica of her papa. She seems to have her mama's nose.

To the proud parents, I say, "Thank you for letting me share this heart-stopping news with my blog peeps."




Even though I feel like it's time to go to high school French class, the truth is, I'm now a first time a grammie.

And I love it.

When I look into the eyes of my little granddaughter,  it's like looking into the face of God. 

ARE YOU A GRANDPARENT?  IF YES, DO YOU REMEMBER THE THRILL OF SEEING YOUR FIRST GRANDCHILD?

29 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

Precious child! Congratulations! Let the spoiling begin.
I'm not a grandmother yet but am looking forward to the day.

Best,
Bonnie

Susan said...

Dear friend, I rejoice in your news and you're right--becoming a grandparent is so worth the wait:-D

Glenda said...

Congratulations to you and the rest of the family! It is such an exciting time, and I remember the first time I saw each of my three grandsons, all so much alike and yet so different in their own way! A precious gift from God, for sure, and I hope you're close enough to do some serious spoiling! Enjoy every moment with her as you discover the world again through her eyes! :-)

La Tea Dah said...

Oh my! I am tingling all over! How did you keep this a secret for so long? Congratulations on such a wonderful thing! Grandmother, Granny, Grandma, Nana ---- I'm going to call you Sus-nana! Wow --- so very happy for you. She is adorable and I love the picture of the two of you!

It's Just Dottie said...

I am so very happy for you.
She is beautiful.
Smiles, Dottie

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Congratulations, Susan! Wow ... you certainly kept a secret. :) I'm not a grandmother but you know I'm a grand-aunt to my sugar plum and I can only imagine the love and joy a grandchild must bring. She is beautiful!

Heirloom treasures said...

Oh how lovely she is,and yes it's a gift from God to get one of these precious little bundles.
I remember well the first sight of my first grandchild a boy,now 17 and still beautiful. He was premi and had a slow start. He was so angelic to hold I was frightened he would break. He's now a big strapping solid boy.x Enjoy.

Joyful said...

Congratulations to your entire family. The baby is a "doll"!

Chris Graham said...

Susan.
oh my gosh! Pure joy! She is exquisite. So beautiful.
So tiny and sweet. Congratulations. My only grandchild is now 13 and words cannot describe the love I have for her. Enjoy dear friend.

Rebecca said...

Congratulations! She IS beautiful. And yes, I remember.

Susan Roux said...

Congratulations, she's just beautiful!

So do you think you're going to like being a grandma???

Lucy@heart and hearth said...

Congratulations, to all of you!!!She is absolutely adorable and blessed to be your granddaughter.What an exciting time for you!!

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Susan,
Congrats to you and your family.Your Grand-Daughter is gorgeous.
I well remember the thrill when my first grand-baby was born.
od Bless
Barb from Australia

Nellie said...

Beautiful baby! Yes, I am a grandmother - a grandson who will soon be 9 years old, and a granddaughter who was six years old a month ago! Yes, I remember very well the thrill that comes with becoming a grandmother. The entire family waited in the waiting room for our grandson to be born. He was the first grandchild on both sides of the family. We have pictures showing all of us as a very sleepy bunch! It was in the middle of the night when he arrived.

Our granddaughter was a preemie, due to our daughter developing toxemia seven weeks before due date. After only three weeks in the NICU, home she came. Her brother's first words were, "When can I hold her?" The family was across town at that time. They have since moved a couple of hours away.

Enjoy this pleasure, Susan!

xo Nellie

The Old Parsonage said...

Oh Susan a new little someone to love. I'm soo happy for you, your daughter and SIL!!!! I've tears in my eyes for you!

God is wonderful!

xo
Leann

diane.stetson said...

Thanks be to God...your grandchild is so so beautiful. Yes I have three grandsons and enjoyed looking at them right after they were born. Grandparenting is a very special joy for me and I know you will love it too. Congratulations to you and your husband!

Terri Tiffany said...

Aww! She is beautiful!!! COngratulations!!! My second grandchild is due any day and yes I know that awesome feeling!

Anonymous said...

My favorite line of this joyful post is the last one!
Hallelujah!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Susan I have tears of joy in my eyes as I read this. What a beautiful baby girl! God is so good! You know I'm a Grammie and that Grandson of mine is so amazing. I was there at the hospital when he was born and got to see him and hold him when he was less then an hour old. I have never been so moved in my life. My baby girl had a baby and it's such a miracle from God. You are just beginning the best time in your life....being a Grammie is awesome.
Sending you and your family big hugs. Linda

middle child said...

CONGRATS!!!!! I am a grandma and you will be amazed at the things grandkids will teach you. And in some ways, you will become a kid again. It's the best!

Chatty Crone said...

God is letting you borrow that precious bundle - and HE sure knew what he was doing. You already are a fantastic grandma. She is BEAUTIFUL! And I think God was staring at you too. Hope you get to give her a ton of hugs and kisses. They need their grandmas and their parents. lol

Linda O'Connell said...

No matter how many come after her, she will always be the one you share the "firsts" with. She is precious and perfect and I know you are pefectly in love. Her name?

Anonymous said...

Hello grammy Susan! She's beautiful!!!
What joyous news you've shared. I'm so thrilled for you, congratulations to the new proud parents. Sending my love to you in return! xo


Ciao Bella
Creative Carmelina

Donna said...

Oh my gosh, SUSAN!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on your GORGEOUS little granddaughter!! She is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, just like her grandmother!! I'm so excited for you!!!... Donna

Lady Linda said...

Just read your post and oh my oh my oh my! What a blessing and a JOY! I am longing for the day I get to be a grandmother. I can't believe you could keep this secret for so long! WOW! And what a gift for your birthday! How wonderful. I am so very excited for you.
Much love,
Linda

Chatty Crone said...

I knew it was your birthday and I forgot to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY (BELATED).

Dee said...

Congratulations..grandma. Your new granddaughter is beautiful :) I have five and each one was a thrill...and still are.All I can say you have some wonderful grammy time ahead.

Karen Lange said...

Susan, that is exactly how I felt when our grandson was born. I remember holding him for the first time and just grinning the entire time. What a thrill! He's now 4 and it still is great fun. :)

Congratulations to you and your family!

Blessings,
Karen

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Oh, a most wonderful occasion! Congratulations! I am so supper happy for you! She is beautiful!!! I have 10 grandchildren and the arrival of each one is just as exciting :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails