Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Laurel Burch Purse Bursts with Colors



A very dear cousin of mine, Mary, gave me an early (September) birthday gift----a colorful and whimsical purse that I absolutely love.


It is the creation of Laurel Burch.

According to her website, the artist once said,  "I refuse to have anything in my life that I can't turn around into something magical and beautiful." 




For years I have seen the designs of this very talented artist and always wished  to have something done by her. Now I do, thanks to my generous and sweet cuz!


It was extremely interesting to find out that online that Laurel Burch had quite a life story and you can read about it in detail and see videos on her website.

She was born with a rare bone disease called "osteopetrosis," it was noted.

She left a troubled home life in Southern California at the tender age of 14 years, opting to babysit, clean and cook for room and board.

A self-taught painter, the artist began to make very unique jewelry that people were attracted to.  They began to ask her where she got the jewelry, according to the website.

The artist started to give it away, sell and also trade it with people all over the country.


Eventually, her intricate and color-plashed designs became well known.  

She painted birds, cats, dogs, fish, mermaids, the moon,  the sun , tigers and so much more, in bright, sizzling colors.

She did speaking engagements across America, too.

At times, as her bone disease progressed, she even painted from a wheelchair or bed.

                                            (Wooden tag, attached to purse) Laurel Burch died in 2007 from complications related to the bone disease that plagued  her since birth.


Her marvelous designs on wall art, clothing, and even my purse, however, live on, making the world a brighter, happier place!

HAVE YOU SEEN WORK BY LAUREL BURCH?

12 comments:

Susan said...

A very warm welcome to Jo-Anne Meadows, of Australia, writer of the blog "Jo-Anne's Ramblings."

She is this blog's newest Follower.

Thank you so much, Jo-Anne, for Following this blog!

Hope you are a frequent visitor!

Sending hugs to everyone reading this. Susan

Ginny Hartzler said...

I got into Laurel Burch about a year ago, and have a couple of her bags. Yours is gorgeous and your friend is so generous! Laurel's father did not believe in her talent, but that did not stop her. Once, she even painted with her arm broken! She had such strength, determination, and talent.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I come to comment and see a welcome note how cool, made me feel good.

Now onto the bag, oh my goodness what a bloody great bag, I really like the colours and print so much nicer than my boring bag I have been using the last year or so.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I love that bag. So cool and colorful! Had not heard of her before. She overcame a lot that's for sure. I'm glad her designs live on. Happy early birthday wishes, Tammy

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: I do not know about this artist. The bag is beautiful. I like the color tones. Very cool and trendy. Great gift. Keep in touch

Anonymous said...

Nice post and wonderful colours. Have a nice day,
Monika

Anonymous said...

I put on my brakes as I seen your blog. Saying PURSE!

A PURSE. I must go see it. Now.

Oh a lovely gift. It is magnificent
art and colors whoopee. Oh your going to be a sassy gal carrying that.
Oh Sweetie. It takes me so long to get in here. Your images are so large. I have to sit and wait, wait. Oh next time. I will get myself a cup of tea while I wait.



I am a new follower here also.

Hugs for the day new friend.

Has anyone ever told you. You look like that cutie gal on The Fonz. His girlfriend. I think the program was Happy Days. Oh your smile is right on. Your as cute as a bug. Some bugs are cute like the lady bugs in red. They sell them in special stores in Canada. I have many. I stick them in Birthday cards for snail mailing.

Anonymous said...

Her name was Erin Morgan she was Joanne I think. Who you look like.

Chatty Crone said...

I honestly had not! But I love it and what a cool positive story!!! I love her attitude and how she didn't let her disease ruin her life!

Merlesworld said...

Lovely and colourful.
Merle........

diane.stetson said...

It is great that your cousin knows you so well and has given you something which you will treasure and think of her whenever you use it!

Valerie said...

What a gorgeous bag and a fabulous story to go with it! Blessings, Valerie

Related Posts with Thumbnails