Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Bustling Basil


Basil is definitely not one of my favorite herbs to use in cooking. 

It has too strong a flavor for my taste-buds.

However, I like tiny bits of it sprinkled on fresh tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. 

Add a few drops of  olive oil and salt and those combined ingredients make a delicious salad.

A basil plant purchased at the supermarket for $1.79 now perks up a kitchen windowsill.



She's full and lovely.

Nearby is a tall, stately avocado, planted from a pit by my very own granddaughter!

Seeing green plants growing on the windowsill makes me happy.

It would be so nice if they would live through the winter.


WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO MAKE WITH BASIL?

8 comments:

diane stetson said...

I never cook with basil. I really do not like it at all not even a little bit.

TARYTERRE said...

the avocado and basil plants look delightful in your kitchen. i use the basil in a clam dish i make.

Chatty Crone said...

A margarita pizza! It has mozzarella and basil on top with olive oil.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I tend to cook with dried herbs. I think basil is definitely better used fresh on pizzas or pasta or salads. I have lots of little avocado plants still sitting in water. Every time I put them in soil, they tend to dry up even though I water often. Not sure why.

Linda said...

I adore basil - one of my favorites and my favorite to use it in is Caprese salad (with big full leaves). It's wonderful in homemade spaghetti sauce too. I planted all of my herbs outdoors this year and the basil plants are now gigantic and I've let them flower. All of our hummingbirds are huge fans of the basil flowers. :)

Linda O'Connell said...

A friend gifted me one. That was a real treat.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Basil is one of the ingredients in the bruschetta I make. I also use it in my tomato sauce and other Italian dishes. Your plant looks quite happy in that window. I have a northern exposure, and herbs don't do too well in my kitchen.

Red Rose Alley said...

I don't use basil that often either. But Jess grew basil in a pot on her front porch, and used it for meals often. Your basil plant looks nice in the blue cobalt vase, Susan. : )

~Sheri

Related Posts with Thumbnails