Saturday, April 18, 2020

Ruby in the Boudoir


Some experiences of childhood never go away.

Memories of them remain forever, tucked in our minds and hearts.

One of my own has to do with a "boudoir" doll that used to sit against pillows on my aunt's bed.

We were not allowed to touch the doll but, oh boy, I certainly used to look at her, during every visit to my aunt's house.

Fast forward many, many decades.  Auntie is in the other realm of life.  


Her boudoir doll came to me and I named her "Ruby."

Unfortunately, the years had not been kind to her and she had turned completely shabby. 

Her hair was ragged and worn so she got a new hairdo from a wig that was hanging around.

 Her dress was actually falling apart.

Then, a few years ago, my husband's sister,  a talented seamstress, came to Massachusetts from Florida to visit us.  

She went to a local fabric goods store, bought the most gorgeous light green fabric, and spent an entire day of her visit sewing a new outfit for Ruby. 

My sister-in-law, too, has since died, but her handiwork on Ruby continues to warm my heart every time I see the doll.

Boudoir dolls, for those who are unfamiliar with them, were definitely not made for children. 


They graced either the beds or sofas of grown up ladies from the 1920s through 1940s.

Ruby is no beauty queen but the sweet memories she evokes make her worth, to me anyway, a million bucks. 

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF BOUDOIR DOLLS?

4 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

A lot of good memories!

Linda O'Connell said...

I'll bet Ruby would have stories to tell if she could talk.

diane stetson said...

I remember that doll Susan. I was never really interested in dolls not the way you were and ARE...ha ha. Enjoy. The outfit is very pretty. Aunt Julie would be so happy to see it.

Red Rose Alley said...

Susan, your Aunt's doll is a treasure. And what special memories you have of going to her house and gazing at her in your Aunt's bedroom. I remember going to my Aunt's house one time, and she was a collector of dolls. She had so many different kinds of dolls, and like you, I would just gaze at them all. That was thoughtful of your sister-in-law to spend so much time making Ruby a new dress. I loved your post today, Susan, as old treasures from loved ones really warm my heart.

~Sheri

Related Posts with Thumbnails