Tuesday, May 21, 2024

What's for Lunch?


Sometimes (okay, most of the time), cooking for one person is hard.

After spending more than half of one's life with a husband, when he's gone forever,  it's often too lonely and too doggone sad to make a meal just for one's self.

When the thought that there is shrimp in the freezer pops into one's head, bam!,  the problem of what to have for that day's lunch is solved.

A shrimp cocktail sounds delicious.

Miraculously, the refrigerated green lettuce pieces in the plastic container have not turned to mush. 

They are still crisp and tasty. There is cocktail sauce for dipping the fat little shrimp into, then savoring the taste.

There's water with sliced lemons and ice cubes, too, served in a pretty red glass goblet.

It's important to treat ourselves by using pretty red goblet glasses, Old Country Roses china dishes, napkins, and so on.

Ahhhh, the delicious lunch is over.

3 comments:

My Tata's Cottage said...

That little share was sweet. I love shrimp too and eating a simple lunch is a lovely thought. My friend Bea turns 94 this month and she has always been single but she eats TV dinners and canned soup. Makes me sad. But her tiny apartment is too small. No extra cupboard space for cans and boxes and other things. When the weather is good she does have a few friends close by who go to lunch with her and a young lady who lives underneath her apartment so will go to the grocery store or order from amazon and share with Bea. She also introduced Bea to her mother and now they are pen pals. I love it. Have a wonderful week.

diane stetson said...

Well I usually love shrimp cocktails but last week when I made myself one I broke out in hives and so I guess I can't eat those anymore. Allergies can happen at any age. You enjoy them from now on as I can't.

Red Rose Alley said...

That looks really good. What a great idea to have shrimp cocktail. The shrimp looks like nice and plump ones too. It's nice that you use your Old Country Rose plates once in awhile. Lemon water sounds refreshing and so good. What a lovely table you have set, Susan. Those pink roses have the prettiest soft color.

~Sheri

Related Posts with Thumbnails