Saturday, August 17, 2024

Thinking of Grandma

 


 A humongous yard sale in a heavily Polish community had me thinking a lot of my late maternal Grandma.

She was born in Poland and came to this country as a teenager, never to see her mother again in her lifetime.


 

That makes me so sad to think about.

Well, at the yard sale, there were literally thousands of items for sale.

The ladies of the church did a stellar job of making everything sparkle and look gorgeous.



 

When my eyes landed on an Eastern European table cover, I could feel my heart doing little cartwheels.

It was soooooo beautiful. 

Bright, intricate, and splashed with gorgeous colors and designs, the table cover jumped out at me with possibilities.

A red fringe ran along all of the edges. 

 I took a huge breath before glancing at the price tag.....ONE DOLLAR.

Once home, the cloth got washed, dried and put over a pretty, lacy curtain panel on the small table in my apartment. Perfect!

(The curtain panel has to make do until I find a lace cloth for a small, square table.)

The clearly eastern European table cover gives a gypsy look to the table, which I absolutely love.

I think Grandma would approve. 

DO YOU LIKE TO FIND THINGS RELATED TO YOUR ETHNIC BACKGROUND?

4 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, that is so pretty, Susan. I love it. So much detail in this table cloth, and those roses! It's even more special that it reminds you of your grandma, who was Polish. And the table cloth is even more appealing to me being part Polish myself. The candle and white roses look perfect sitting on there. And I cannot believe it cost a dollar! I think this table cloth was meant just for you, Susan. : )

~Sheri

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I love your tablecloth, Susan. So beautiful. How lovely that it reminds you of your dear Polish-born grandmother.

Diane Stetson said...

Gorgeous red tablecloth. Grands Ma is looking down and smiling.

Shug said...

$1.00. ? Awesome find!! It is truly a beautiful piece and the colors are so cheerful.. Isn't it amazing the things that can be found at sales like this? I had a garage sale yesterday and today...I sure hope there was something in my sale that brightened someone's day...

Related Posts with Thumbnails