Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Wednesday, December 22, 2010: Giving to Others Is the Essence of Happiness


 
Almost everyone has heard the expression, "love isn't love til you give it away."  It's true, too. Another saying that's particularly poignant is "the essence of happiness is giving to others." 

Most of the happiest people I know are givers. They share without being asked. They enjoy opening their hearts and their pocketbooks to make others happy and in doing so, they bring joy to themselves.

This holiday season, it's important to think of others less fortunate than ourselves.  To me, it's gratifying to make an extra gingerbread house so kids who wouldn't otherwise have one can decorate with gumdrops, peppermints, cherry sours, and on and on into the candy kingdom. 

A visit to someone who is sick may not be as much fun as going Christmas shopping but it's more important. The same goes for visits to someone who is terminally ill. This may be the last holiday of such a person and a visit to express our love is something we will never regret.

I'm sad for people who are unable to give of themselves. I've known people so financially tight they would not share a dime with anyone. They may have a pocketful of money but, to me, they are the poorest of the poor. Their spirits are not light and joyful because all they care about is money. 

This holiday season, it's good to remember  the essence of happiness is giving to others.

Why not be an angel and reach out to someone who needs your love, gentleness, kindness, generosity, and compassion?


WHAT IS ONE NICE THING SOMEONE HAS DONE FOR YOU LATELY? CAN YOU TELL US?

15 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Susan I agree completely! Giving is so important. Even when I don't have extra money (like now since I'm no longer working and living on my savings) I try to give to others who have even less then I do. It may be on a small scale but I do give an in doing so I receive!

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh Susan...true. It's a feeling like none other. Giving is precious.

Nancy

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Susan -

Thank you for a beautiful Christmas post.

God gave something very precious to us on that day long ago - His Son, Jesus. What an example for us! The best thing we can give is ourselves.

Blessings,
Susan :)

diane stetson said...

Sounds like you are talking about yourself and your husband Susan. A friend of my son's came and put up all my Christmas lights outside without being asked. He called me ..now that's the Christmas spirit.

Susan said...

Every day I am blessed by gifts of the spirit by others, my clients at work, my blogger friends, and family and coworkers. There are such blessings around us, we just have to open our hearts and our minds to receive them.

Susan Roux said...

A wonderful message in the spirit of Christmas. Hope yours is a great one!

Anonymous said...

If I were to think of the most kindness expressed to me as of late....like for the last 16 years..I'd have to say I think of my husband Terry!
He gives me his love, his time and attention..his support, his loyalty....his trust...his money! his...heart....his everything! and without him I would be nothing!

now that is giving at it's best...and you won't find that in any store or package!

thanks for asking!
ciao bella

creative carmelina

podso said...

What a beautiful post! "It is better to give than receive" And we find such joy when we give. I enjoyed visiting your blog--love the doll and the gingerbread house! Have a wonderful Christmas!

Alicia Campbell said...

Beautiful post Susan. Giving Unconditional Love to others is definitely the key to enjoying the season, even if we give it in the form of a smile.

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you, Susan. If only I was a millionaire. I'd have a blast giving away so much more than I can actually afford to. I love your header! It's so pretty!

Anonymous said...

buy somas carisoprodol 350 mg review - buy soma online canada

Anonymous said...

valium for anxiety cheap generic valium online - buy valium online pakistan

Anonymous said...

buy soma soma what drug class - buy soma money order

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online generic ambien less effective - ambien cr generic vs brand

Anonymous said...

buy generic valium diazepam valium half life - taking 2 5mg valium

Related Posts with Thumbnails