Monday, March 28, 2011

Good Deed Pays Off in Spades

One of my sisters felt totally overwhemed at the thought of cleaning her basement.

Even though there are any number of places in my own house that need straightening, I offered to help her.

Sometimes a monumental undertaking becomes more manageable when two people tackle it. This was definitely one of those times.

While opening one dusty, musty box, inside were layers of paper. Strikingly attractive blue and white dishes nestled between each sheet.  Clearly, none of them had ever been used. Lifting one up to get a better look, I saw that these dishes were the Coaching pattern by Johnson Brothers. They are made in England.





"Oh, my gosh," I exclaimed. "These are gorgeous. Why haven't you ever used them?"

"Those belonged to your godmother," my sister said. "I don't want them. You can have the whole box."

Honestly, I couldn't believe this stroke of amazing luck. There are six dinner plates, six salad plates, and four cups with six saucers. Unfortunately, two of the matching cups had smashed handles so they got discarded.

Last Sunday, I used the new set at a breakfast and they looked so pretty!



When the basement is done, maybe my sister will help me tackle our attic.

12 comments:

Claus said...

Lucky indeed!! Those are beautiful!! My grandma left a set of tea cups just in that pattern. Must of my late grandma's china was a gift from my uncle when he was an ambassador. He would send her pretty pieces and sets from around the world. Those I have at home might as well be from England as well! I'm curious now...
have a lovely day!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Beautiful dishes! How wonderful to discover a treasure helping your sister!

MeMeSue said...

WoW Susan...WOW...lucky girl!

diane stetson said...

Hey, how about sending this other sister something from your Godmother's treasure trove....

Bookie said...

Lucky you! You know I love blue and whites! Your table looks fantastic...I wish I could visit there some Sunday morning....the scene wraps around me, feels like comfort.

Carolyn said...

Hi Susan,
Those dishes are so beautiful! it was a lovely way to be repaid for helping out.

Carolyn

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

When you are kind it comes right back to you. Great dishes!!

Linda O'Connell said...

How fortunate for you!

Chatty Crone said...

Isn't Karma amazing? Who knows what she will find in your attic!

I love the plates and your table is breathe taking.

You're a lucky gal.

Sandie♥

Karen Lange said...

Well, many hands do make light work! :) What a blessing to find such a treasure! :) Love the photos.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Oh my goodness, Susan, those dishes are gorgeous! How lovely to take possession of them! A good deed indeed!
I appreciate your prayers for my grandbaby! Her lungs are still not completely clear but she is home and doing better. She is a very good natured baby and smiles all the time according to her parents. I have not actually met my granddaughter yet but I have talked to her over the webcam. She is on one side of the country and I'm on the other. :( She is precious! Thank you for stopping by for tea.

Blessings,
Sandi

La Tea Dah said...

Oh, beautiful! I love them! What a find!

Related Posts with Thumbnails