Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blooming Apple Trees Bring Sweet Memories




One of the best parts of spring is seeing apple trees in full, splendorous, pink bloom.

Smelling the fragrant blossoms is even better. They are so sweet and beautiful.  A blooming apple tree looks like an explosion of pink cotton candy. 

Whenever I see an apple tree in bloom, it makes me think of my father. He loved the apple trees in the backyard of my childhood home. They were actually crab apple trees. The fruits they produced were small, tart apples.  Personally, I didn't like them and often found them to be quite wormy. Plus, the taste was way too sour for my palate.

As a child, I used to love to climb up in an apple tree in the back yard and drink in the beauty when pink blossoms covered the branches.  It felt like being in the middle of some enchanted wonder world.

Even today, the sweet fragrance of apple blossoms remains one of my favorite springtime smells.



The other day, I drove past the old homestead. Strangers live there now and the front yard apple trees are gone. For a brief moment, I thought how wonderful it would be to drive into the driveway and  visit my parents once again. But, alas, they are both gone now,  to the land of perpetual apple blossoms. Life goes by so quickly. One day we are children and then, faster than we can imagine, childhood is gone, forever.

I miss my parents so much .  They were good people who raised five daughters, now all grown up with children of their own. What I wouldn't do to hug them one more time or see their sweet faces standing on the porch, waving goodbye after a visit.

 Now I realize how precious each and every moment is because  life is as fleeting as pink apple blossoms in the spring.

When I see the first apple tree in bloom in a few short weeks,  it will be a moment to remember and savor.

HAVE YOU SMELLED APPLE BLOSSOMS IN THE SPRING?

10 comments:

BECKY said...

So pretty!!

Chatty Crone said...

Susan - the trees may be there - to keep reminding you of your dad - your mom. Just a little bit of comfort on earth.

sandie

Bookie said...

WE have a nice little crab apple tree planted as memorial to a speical pet. But this spring there were very few blossoms...maybe next year. What a lovely memory maker the apple trees were for you!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Beautiful trees. No I've not experienced the joy of smelling an apple tree in bloom!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Hey Susan, you changed your profile picture again. :) If I ever saw or smelled a blooming apple tree, I don't think I knew it. I remember mostly azaleas and magnolias in Louisiana. Lovely memories of your parents. And yes, time is fleeting. Best wishes and blessings, Tammy

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

I too, have wonderful memories of apple trees in the spring and summer and fall.
My Gram had a mini orchard in the backyard of her Kaukauna, Wisconsin home. I climbed the trees, too!
In the fall, we'd pick apples and make applesauce that was brown, not yellow like the stuff in jars- I LOVED it. No applesauce has ever tasted quite the same :)
Thank you for the memories I'd forgotten...
LOVE YOU!
~me

Claus said...

I have not!, then again, I have never even seen an apple tree before! I was happily staring at the pictures you shared here. So beautiful!
have a lovely day!

diane stetson said...

"I'll be with you in apple blossom time"...a favorite song of mine. I remember eating those crab apples and loving them with a little salt on them. I still love tart apples today. I have orange blossoms now in my yard and they smell great too. RIP Mom and Dad!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Susan,
Your post is bittersweet. Apple blossoms remind me of my beloved grandmother because they had numerous apple trees on their farm. When my father built our first home, it was beside my grandparents' farm with a small apple orchard in between the two houses. I used to love to skip through it to visit my Granny! A small subdivision is there now. The streets are named after the family names but it's sad to see it all gone. I am thankful however that there is a family living in the old farmhouse and my Daddy's house still stands close by. Your blossoms are beautiful! Thanks for coming by for tea.

Blessings,
Sandi

Minnie Kitchen said...

so beautiful! I love all blossoms~ cherry, apple, anything pink!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails