Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Dickens Village Wonderland


One of the highlights of this entire Christmas season was discovering a Dickens Village land of total enchantment.


Last summer at a yard sale, a woman  was talking about how she collected Dickens Village houses and accessories. Her devoted husband helps her set them up every Christmas, she said.


Not even aware of how collectible these are, I asked for her name and phone number, hoping she might let a total stranger see her collection.  She told me to definitely call her in December. I did just that and boy, am I glad I did.


Her name is Yvonne and her husband is Don. They are an extremely charming and gracious couple.







When I saw the Dickens Village they created in an entire room, it was like being a kid in a candy factory.






When asked her if I could share her hobby on this blog, she agreed. After all, sharing highlights of life with readers is one of the most joyous aspects of blogging.






So many thanks goes to Yvonne and Don. 




Can't you just imagine what it would be like to walk along the streets of this little village at Christmas time?



Hope you all enjoyed the tour of this fascinating set up that came about because of the imagination, creativity, and ingenuity of two really sweet and talented people!

 DO YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO COLLECTS DICKENS VILLAGE PIECES? 

7 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Wow! That is incredible. Certainly would take a lot of work and patience to set that up each year. Storing it is a whole other matter. Do they participate in Christmas tours where others could see their collection? I used to collect houses and had them on a shelf in the dining room. When I took them down one year because I didn't feel that they fit in with my decor anymore, hubby was none too happy. They are still tucked away in a cupboard for now. Have a great day! Tammy

diane stetson said...

This is just spectacular..wow wow wow. I would love to have toured their village too. Thank for sharing it with us all!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Okay,
I collect villages but this is unbeleivable and magnificent!!
I LOVE IT!!
I have my original Christmas village on my platform under my Living Room tree. I started collecting the Lemax village in 1981 when my first son was born. I try to add something every year even though I am running out of room.
My Hubby bought me my second village which was a complete set at Sam's club because the newer village are more detailed. That is displayed on my Dining Room Buffet.
I also have an Easter Village, a Fall village and a Halloween village...all from Jo Ann Fabric's.
This woman and her husband are an inspiration to those of us who love villages. Thanks so much for sharing with us!
It was such a treat!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Linda @ A La Carte said...

That is just amazing! I love it and just can't imagine the work that goes into it each year. Thanks for sharing this. I don't collect any kind of little villages but this one is really beautiful. hugs, Linda

Chatty Crone said...

There is not a whole lot that leaves me speechless - but this does - that was gorgeous - I liked the up close pictures much more then the whole room picture - detail - but it was interesting seeing the set up - she sure did use the whole room. I know this it is very $$$ my friend Debbie has some - nothing like that. sandie

Susan said...

Hello Everyone! Thanks so much for visiting this blog today.

Warm welcome trumpets go out to Silversolara, this blog's 257th Follower. Thanks so much for Following and I hope you enjoy your visits here.

Are you all excited for 2012? I am! Hope you'll all come back from time to time (or every day!) Love,Susan

Sandy said...

Wow! What a large collection! I love it and it was so nice of them to let you come and photograph everything.

I have many pieces from the Department 56 Snow Village. Dickens is also made by Department 56. Sure wish I had the room to collect more and the time to set it all up.

Love your blog! I found you while visiting Sheri at "Red Rose Alley"

~Sandy

Related Posts with Thumbnails