Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Babushka, Nesting, or Matryoshka Dolls


The first time I ever laid eyes on a set of nesting dolls it fascinated me to no end.

These Russian creations are also called Babushka and Matryoshka dolls.



They are often very colorful, wildly patterned, and usually, but not always, have a shiny coating.



When you pull the larger doll apart, another doll is inside.

Pull that one apart and another one can be found and so on until the tiniest of the tiny dolls remains between your thumb and index finger.


Sometimes there are up to eight or more dolls in a set! How cool is that?

There is an entire kiosk of Babushka dolls in the Prudential Center shopping mall in Boston. 


When I saw it, it drew me toward it with massive magnetic force. ha!  After all, dolls are one of my most cherished collections and I love nesting dolls!




They come in folk styles, animal forms, political statements, and on and on.

Talk about variety and eye-popping detail, these nesting dolls had both!

 The collection of dolls, which no doubt numbers in the hundreds, was definitely a heart-stopper.




Hope you enjoy these photos of nesting dolls from the Russian Collection kiosk at the Prudential Center Mall  in Boston!

HAVE YOU SEE NESTING DOLLS?
DO YOU HAVE ANY?
IF NOT, WOULD YOU WANT ANY?

13 comments:

diane.stetson said...

I bought one when I went to Poland...I love them too. They are so unique..nice pictures...

Linda O'Connell said...

They are so beautifully painted, aren't they? You do get around to the most interesting places.

Anonymous said...

Babushka dolls fascinates me too, they are so beautiful. I have never seen such large collection as the one in your photos, very berautiful!!

Unknown said...

Hope you had fun in Boston! My daughter has visited Russia twice and is very fond of these dolls, as some are so intricately painted. They are all unique.
Thanks for sharing.
xoxo,
Mary

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Oh my... such a collection of those cute stacking dolls. I used to have one, but if I recall a-right I tucked it into one of my niece's gift packages one year.

They are fun.....

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I am so glad you took photos of this collection! Oh my they are so lovely. I've always thought these were so cute and fun. I have one set I found at a thrift shop that are Winnie The Pooh figures and I paid 99cents for it. I need to show it on my blog one day.
hugs, Linda

Bookie said...

These little dolls have amazed me since I was a kid. Wonder why they are only Russian influenced?

Anonymous said...

I have seen them before, but haven't owned one. They are cool. Especially the tiny little one...

Chatty Crone said...

Believe it or not I have a set for Thanksgiving. I have never seen the pretty ones that you show here. And I like to look here - because Susan - you should see how crowded my life oh I mean house is. I need to downsize - lol. Sandie

The Old Parsonage said...

Too funny - I just bought a new set this past weekend and have a post for them this week! Great minds think alike!

Leann

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Wow! I've never seen such a wide variety of them before. I do have one set. And we can get a Kuwaiti woman and man design here but I've never bought them. Maybe I should. :) Hope your day is a good one. Tammy

Unknown said...

Thank you for your bolg...and we are waiting for all to visit our kiosk in Prudential center,Boston,.,

Unknown said...

Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been weeks for me. Well, this is the article that I’ve been waited for so long. Thanks, great share.long. Thanks, great share.
russian gift
matryoshka
nesting doll
russian dolls
russian hat

Related Posts with Thumbnails