Friday, May 18, 2012

Gerbera Daisy



Gerbera daisies come in bright colors that cheer up the heart just by looking at them.

For Mother's Day, my husband gave me a lovely Gerbera daisy plant and the flowers are a bright, deep coral color. 

He knew I'd love flowers this colorful, plus, he loves these, himself.

Wow! The color pops when you look at the beautiful petals.


It's such a cheerful little plant and it now graces the very center of our kitchen table.


Did you know that the original Gerbera daisy is indigenous to South Africa?  


They are perennials except, and this is a big except for New Englanders, in freezing climates.  

They won't survive our freezing winters so they become annuals! I would imagine one could bring them indoors in pots, keep them warm all winter, and replant outside in the spring.


I'm no gardener but I would be willing to give that a shot.




A German naturalist by the name of Traugott Gerber is the namesake of the flower. 

Of course, the Gerbera daisies found in the USA are variations of that original flower.


There's a lot of information on these perky pretties. I like reading about them for awhile, then, I just like looking at them.

DO YOU HAVE GERBERA DAISIES WHERE YOU LIVE?

3 comments:

Lady Linda said...

I love these flowers too. They do so well in the garden during summer and add such lovely color, good in pots too. We don't have as harsh of winters as you, but they won't winter over here in Oregon either.
Yours is a lovely color.
Linda

diane.stetson said...

Are they the same as Shasta Daiseys 'cause they look very similar and we have lots of them here in So.Cal. How nice of your husband to think of you on Mother's day.

Unknown said...

I love Gerber Daisey's but they are so breakable when working with them in an arrangement! I don't grow them as I have a hard time growing any daisy. So I just buy them. But, look at those leaves. Have you ever seen any leave as pretty? I love the dark green and they look embossed..I find the leaves as pretty as the flower.

Related Posts with Thumbnails