Saturday, May 18, 2013

Covered Bridge in Vermont


Vermont is a charming state with many delightful offerings.

Among them are covered bridges.

Granted, bridges of all kinds can be a bit intimidating for those who prefer the solid surface of a road or highway.

On a recent trip to Arlington, Vermont,  we came across the  Chiselville Bridge shown in this post.

I was the driver and as our car edged close to the bridge, I put on the brakes and almost chickened out. 

It was a long way down to the Roaring Branch Brook below. As a matter of fact, it was more than 100 feet down!



"Just keep your eyes ahead of you," hubs said, in a not-too-quiet voice so across the bridge we went.

There's a funny sign  on the outside of the bridge that indicates drivers who drive faster than walking speed will be fined $1.00.  No fear. I drove at a caterpillar's speed and prayed hard while doing it.

Did you know that covered bridges have been called kissing bridges?  

Apparently, when horses and buggies were the popular mode of transportation, the bridges made good places to get in a little smooch.

There was no smooch for hubs on the bridge because both of my hands gripped the steering wheel like iron rods. 

I must have looked like a zombie with my eyes bugged out, staring ahead with a vengeance.

In my book, (chicken of the year), covered bridges are picturesque  to look at, not drive over.

HAVE YOU DRIVEN ON A COVERED BRIDGE?

13 comments:

diane.stetson said...

I have not driven through a covered bridge in ages. I did love the movie the "Bridges of Madison County" though and this picture reminded me of that movie.

Karen Lange said...

I love covered bridges! There are quite a few near where I was born in Lancaster, PA. Haven't been on one in ages. I should remedy that. :)

Have a great weekend!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Ha! That was such a little bridge. Now the bridges that go on forever, those are the ones that intimidate me a bit. I have a whole collection of covered bridge cross-stitch patterns that I was going to do years ago. Not my decorating style now but I do love the look of them. Best wishes, Tammy

Linda O'Connell said...

I've only walked across them, not driven. What an experience.

Nellie said...

Such a lovely bridge! You are really a good spokesman for Vermont tourism! I'm adding this to my "must see" list!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Yes and I love covered bridges....hey I love bridges of all kinds!

Linda

Unknown said...

I wouldn't mind driving on a covered bridge, I find them charming. You don't find them over here.

Bookie said...

I remember this bridge! I don't remember this as scary but plenty of other bridges do me in.

It is SO hot here today...only 84 but humidity is making water pour off of us! Storms coming tomorrow...yuck. I want real spring...

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I love covered bridges! I posted about one near our home a few years back (http://www.gratefulprayerthankfulheart.com/2009/12/outdoor-wednesday-bridge-builder.html) I included one of my favorite poems too.

Your bridge is narrower than the one near us. Ours is better for smooching I suppose, unless you are a thrill-seeker smoochcer :)

Chatty Crone said...

I am not surprised that they are called kissing bridges and I have gone over a couple of them. Remember Bridges of Madison County? sandie

Merlesworld said...

I like bridges so I was curious if there were any covered bridges in Australia but nothing came up so we don't have any which is not surprising as I have never seen one but I haven't been everywhere.
Merle.....

Suzan said...

Love, Love, Love covered bridges!! Very nice!

Felicity W said...

me too. I think of 'The Bridge of Madison County' suddenly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails