Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Toddler Territory


Help!  Our house is being taken over by toddler toys, like talking teapots and color splashed furniture!

Believe me, I am not complaining.  It's all part of the privilege of being a "Gammie."

When my eyes meet my toddler granddaughter's, my heart melts like a stick of butter in a pan on the lighted stove.

She's the joy of my life! My shining star and source of  untold happiness.

But toy accumulation is another story.

The kitchen is suddenly smaller  with her own table and chair, high chair, two plastic dolly houses and a small army of  dollhouse family members plus Fisher Price "little people."


Tiger (of Winnie the Pooh fame) jumps on a table in the living room and two sleeping dollies occupy a nearby doll crib.


Then there's a pack-and-play for nap time, a butterfly puzzle, a ton of story books, and on and on.

My mirrors have hand and lip prints all over them, since the princess loves to kiss her image! 



She's a kicker.

A huge portion of the paraphernalia was given to me by a friend whose  granddaughter is a lot older.


Most of it was yard sale and thrift store purchases to begin with.

Oh boy. "Ain't" life with toddler visitors grand?

HOW DO YOU KEEP THE AVALANCHE OF TODDLER TOYS AT BAY?

12 comments:

Kit said...

Lucky for me when my girls were small (no grandchildren) we had a rec room and that is where all the toys were kept in bins and shelves. The rest of the house was toy free (except for their bedrooms). That kept me sane. Only a couple of areas to keep tidy. And my decor remained intact. :) Kit

diane.stetson said...

I have a toy chest in the bedroom where all the toys stay until they come..then the house is like a cyclone...everything is out..the toys in the game closet, the toy chest and so forth. I don't have them here often enough...I don't mind the messes at all.

Merlesworld said...

As I don't have grandchildren I don't have a lot of toys but I must admit I have a secret stash in case they come along in the future.
Merle....................

Hindustanka said...

Hi Susan!
Your little grandaughter has so many toys! An dthey are so colorful! Even when I weas toddler I never such doll houses and all the kitchen ware sets :) But I had different ones and I used LOVE playing with all that!

I am yet to start buying toys for my little one, till then I don't want to purchase too much.

Have a wonderful day!

Gosia said...

I remembered it when my daughter was a toddlet it was a same 'the ocean of toys" And the awful mess in our apartment.

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: I understand that your home is invaded by toys. I have the same problem ... I have two girls. I have the luck to have a room just for games. My daughters prefer to be surrounded by adults and always fill the living room of toys... we keep in touch ....

Ruth Ann said...

I had three sons and then - oh joyous day - I had a granddaughter (and eventually two grandsons). Now she's 22 but I still have our Fisher Price tea set we used to have tea parties with. I still have the Barbie doll and her kitchen set, the big pink Lego doll house, etc. on shelves in the basement. I can't bring myself to part with them. WE had so much fun playing with them. I keep telling myself we might have a great-grandaughter someday.

Lucy@heart and hearth said...

Absolutely adorable!!!
thank you for making me smile this am.

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

-chuckle- Toddler-Take-Over-Time!!!!

Used to do Nana-Day-Care for our oldest Granddaughter, from when they moved back here, when she was 1 1/2. (She is now 21) I've been through the entire range of Toys!

We made a designated corner, in the Heath Room, where the toys "lived". Mmmmm, and in the Front Room too. :-)

A big toy box, with a won't-fall-on-them-and-hurt-them cover is nice too. and they learn to return toys there, when they are done.

Main thing, have fun. They grow up so fast.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I feel that way about my Tiger! I have an area with baskets to keep his toys gathered in. It's amazing what they need but now that he is almost 3 less cribs etc, but more toys!! I love being a Grandma!!
hugs, Linda

Kathy said...

So sweet! I just can't wait for grandchildren!
I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Lady Linda said...

How sweet Susan! Love you sharing about the little princess. We are so blessed to have little ones in our lives. Otto hasn't reached this stage yet and our house is small, so....Now, it's blankets, bottles and his favorite little toys he plays with on the floor. He doesn't want to crawl, but scoots in a full circle on his little bottom.
I never thought I'd get to be a grandma, so will go with it all, whatever it maybe!
Love,
Linda

Related Posts with Thumbnails