Monday, May 26, 2014

A Day of Remembrance, Pride and Love


Memorial Day is a holiday that brings a mixture of feelings.

For sure, there is pride in our country and in all the brave men and women who have fought hard, and who are fighting now,  to keep it free.

It's a day of deep sadness, too, for all those whose lives have been lost while fighting for that very freedom.

Can you even imagine what it must be like to have your "child"  sign up to serve in the military and then be killed, never to come home again?

That mother or father will never hold a son or daughter in their arms again on this earth. 

All the dreams and hopes for their futures------gone. I can barely fathom the pain and sorrow in the hearts  of parents who have lost sons and daughters in the fight for  freedom.

 My heart also goes out to servicemen and women who have come home without limbs, eyes or intact spirits.  Their sacrifices have been immense. 

With great humility, let's thank them.

Today, while having barbecues, celebrating a day off from work and enjoying celebrations, why not pause to think of the reason why this day is celebrated.

A most blessed Memorial Day to all my American peeps observing this special holiday!  

WHAT DOES PATRIOTISM MEAN TO YOU?

5 comments:

diane.stetson said...

I just love watching the Memorial Day concert from Washington DC and hearing all that patriotic music. Songs of each branch of service and songs of our country bring tears to my eyes. We are SO LUCKY to live in the United States of America.

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: In the U.S. you are very patriotic. I like to see how you celebrate it. You are lucky. Happy day. Keep in touch

Bookie said...

What a great parade picture. I would like to have been there. I think in your neck of the woods, there is more dash with that back to Revolutionary times dress! Happy Memorial Monday!

Chatty Crone said...

You know I appreciate and I thank all the men and women who have served our county. And without them we would not have a our country.

Starry Dawn said...

Hi Susan,
Have a blessed Memorial Day Weekend, my friend!
Patriotism means to me loyalty to one country.
We thank the brave American men and women who fought for freedom to have a free country, the United States of America.
God bless America and the Americans!
Greetings from Poet Starry.

Related Posts with Thumbnails