Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A Word to the Wise Is Sufficient...



Just about very day, we hear about how important it is to wash our fruit when bringing it home from the supermarket.

There are pesticides galore lurking on those peaches and apples, right?

What we do not hear to much about is refraining from washing our cell phones with the fruit! 


Wish I had.



Sunday, I ducked into the supermarket to buy some fruit as well as other items for the week.

There were a few bags to carry into the house, plus my camera, cell phone, keys and purse.

With so much to carry, I slipped my cell phone into one of the fruit bags.

BAD MOVE.

Once inside the house, I ran the hot water in the dishpan at the sink, added a healthy squirt of Dawn Dish detergent and emptied one bag of fruit into it.

The cell phone also went for a swim.

As soon as I did it, it flashed in my brain to retrieve that phone.

I frantically dried it, removed the battery and prayed. Hoped. Looked longingly at its black screen?


  Someone told me to immerse it in rice inside a baggie, set it in a sunny spot and wait. I did that for 24 hours but to no avail.

Modern technology is unforgiving of sudsy hot water.

So, to make a long story longer, I got a new cell phone and am currently learning how  to operate it.

It's as colorful as a rainbow but oh yikers, for a non-techie person, it's brutal to realize how much there is to learn.



It's like plunging into a swimming pool filled with ice and freezing water.
  Lesson learned:  Don't put your cell phone into a fruit bag when coming home from the supermarket.

Ringgggg ringgggg   Now how the heck do I answer the new phone?

HAVE YOU DAMAGED OR LOST CELL PHONES IN THE PAST?

10 comments:

Lucy@heart and hearth said...

thanks for sharing this Susan...even tho I know it is not funny ,your wit in relaying it is joy!! :)
all the best as you learn your new phone...I don't enjoy learning new techy things either...

diane.stetson said...

Oh I've only had two cell phones in my life and they were given to me free from my daughter. The one I have is ancient but works just fine for me. I always keep it in my purse..never take it out except to charge it in the evening. I know you will learn to work that phone in a flash Susan. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: I'm sorry to read that your phone got wet. It is a lot of work for me to learn to use a new model of mobile phone. I have 7 years with the same model. Keep in touch

SImple and Serene Living said...

Oh no, Susan. Well at least you got a fun new phone. xo Laura

marianne said...

Oh dear. I've learned, the hard way also, that a wet cell phone is a non working cell phone.

I decided to give my cell phone a REALLY good washing and unknowingly put it right in the washing machine with some clothes! It went through the whole wash. I tried the rice in the bag also, but to no avail. Had to get a new cell phone.

I'm sure you will learn how to use your new and colorful cell phone very quickly and will refrain from putting it anywhere but in your purse and up to your ear!

Linda O'Connell said...

I am going to be in the same boat in a couple weeks, because my phone is due to be replaced. I am so techno-challenged. Enjoy your new 'toy'.

Lady Linda said...

Oh Susan,I feel so bad for you! It is hard to learn new things, but I bet you will enjoy all the NEW things on your phone once you learn them!
I haven't had that happen, but when my daughter was in grad school, she spilled a bottle of water in her backpack and fried her lap top! It was terrible.
Love ya,
Linda

Chatty Crone said...

I know that had to hurt - I sent you an video today that shows one worse place to lose one! LOL

Barbara Neubeck said...

..Susan I haven't done this myself but my brother in law left his phone in the yard and it rained overnight....and you can guess the rest.
I'm sure you'll learn to enjoy your new phone...
Hugs and Blessings
Barb xx

Dee said...

Don't gasp...but I do not use a cell phone...I have one that calls 911 if needed. I may need to get one soon...my granddaughter is now 13 and ready to text LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails