Monday, June 23, 2014

Most Kids Love to Swing

 (This is  swing near a lake in the backyard of my cousin's house. What a great place to swing!)

Most of us have childhood memories about swinging.

In the backyard of my parents house there was an iron pole swing set.

How I loved to fly through the air on that swing!

It was scary but oh so satisfying.

At my paternal grandparents house, there was a wooden swing with two seats facing each other.

 
Oh boy, we loved going on that!


Today,  I get to push my little granddaughter in a swing in our backyard  when she comes to visit but she doesn't like to go fast!

My late Mom could recite Robert Louis Stevenson's poem "The Swing" by heart.

Here it is:




 
The Swing

by Robert Louis Stevenson 



How do you like to go up in a swing,
             Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
             Ever a child can do! 

Up in the air and over the wall,
             Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
             Over the countryside-- 

Till I look down on the garden green,
              Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
              Up in the air and down!



 WHAT MEMORIES DO YOU HAVE OF SWINGING?


 


11 comments:

diane.stetson said...

We had one in the cellar where we played with dolls and we would love to swing on it in all kinds of weather especially in the winter. I loved the outdoor swing set too where I would sing to my heart's content while swinging. There is a lovely park with swings now where I live that I take my grandson's to so they can swing.

Musings, Tea, and Me said...

Fond ones! Dad bought us a swing set, but it wasn't around long, nor could it compete with the huge one he hung from a tall maple at the top of a knoll in our yard. But the best were those leather-seated ones (looked like a big "U") at the end of long chains at school. Thrilling, but sometimes downright scary! Thanks for the memories, Susan! -Vickie

marianne said...

Loved to swing as a kid; having a friend or sister push you higher and higher was such a thrill.

I look forward to pushing my little grandaughter on our swing as she gets a little older. I will have to recite the poem to her; I enjoyed reading it and can picture your mom reciting it. Wonderful memory!

La Tea Dah said...

Swinging memories --- that poem! My mother always recited it as well! It seems that our mother's generation actually memorized poetry as a part of their education!

And the large swings at the grade school I went to. There was a long row of them with thick, heavy chains. We would swing on them at recess and sometimes would just sit on them and talk to a friend on the swing beside you.

And of course memories of taking our kids to the park and pushing them in the swings there!

Lots of fun can be had on a swing!

Chatty Crone said...

I am with you I love swinging! Or I used too! Just sitting on there going back and forth and being free from all the worries of the world - remember those days?

Denise said...

Oh Susan I liked this post.I think a lot of people will like it.Yes,I too have those sweet memories and isn't it true that somehow they seemed to occur mostly in the Summer,even in warm So.Ca. I love the poem, first time I've heard it.Thank You for visiting My blog and Commenting-Denise

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Susan,
Swing is so magical isn't it? And that lake scene with the swing is double magical, wow!
I posted a dollhouse post last night, I hope you'll come check it out.
Have a great week!
Gina

Red Rose Alley said...

Susan,
This is such a great swing, and what a beautiful view. Yes, I used to love to swing on our favorite park swings, but haven't had the pleasure in awhile. I must get back on one soon. It's so freeing.....there's nothing like it.

love,
~Sheri

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I loved to swing. A few memories that pop up as we read your posting...

my grandma had one of those iron pole swing sets... except it was never grounded properly so if you went too high, one pole would swing up too.

There was something a little daring, scaring and, as you say, oh so satisfying about getting as high as you could go without flinging yourself over the top.

Thanks for the memory opp.

Brenda

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Hello dear Susan! How I have enjoyed reading the post and meeting Becky! And seeing those adorable dogs brought a smile. Then I saw the inviting swing by the water and there, also, one of my favorite childhood poems! I still have the nursery rhyme book from where I first read it :)

Elizabeth Anderson said...

Great work for child care.Very good blog post. I definitely appreciate this website. Keep it up!
best baby swing -View these top rated Baby Swings.

Related Posts with Thumbnails