Thursday, July 24, 2014

Giant Sea Turtle in Boston's New England Aquarium


Myrtle the giant green sea turtle in residence at the New England Aquarium is no young tiny tot!

As a matter of fact, she's been around for  about 80 years and weighs 500 pounds!

See her?  She's to the right of the unidentified person's head!

She definitely resembles the little turtles most of us remember from childhood, except that she's gigantic! 

She's very difficult to photograph, though, as she's in constant motion and, surprisingly, moves fairly quickly.

According to the Aquarium's  website, Myrtle has been there since 1970!




She  eats Brussels sprouts, cabbage and lettuce.


When Myrtle comes into view in the huge tank at the Aquarium, it's a sight one will not soon forget!

Be sure to check out more about the Aquarium on their terrific website found here.

WHAT, IF ANYTHING,  DO YOU KNOW ABOUT SEA TURTLES?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well this tells me that it is ok that I've never eaten Brussels Sprouts; I might weight as much as Myrtle!
I've never seen a turtle that huge!

Lady Linda said...

Amazing Susan, I don't know anything about sea turtles. Your pix are really beautiful. Interesting post.
Linda

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: great photos. I do not have information on sea turtles ... We keep in touch

Linda O'Connell said...

Susan,
We saw Myrtle! Isn't she amazing? And were the divers in there with the sharks? I love that aquarium.

SImple and Serene Living said...

I think sea turtles are just amazing. I would love to see this one. xo Laura

Pearl said...

Isn't it wonderful?! I saw one in the wild once and my jaw literally dropped...

Pearl

Nellie said...

I know nothing whatsoever about sea turtles! I'd say there may be one at the Tennessee Aquarium as well as the Ripley Believe it or Not Aquarium in Gatlinburg. It would be fun to visit there to see.

Chatty Crone said...

Now how is she 500 pounds and eat only veggies? And I weigh less than she does. No kidding - she is amazing.

Barbara Neubeck said...

..Hi Susan...
Myrtle is wonderful... I've never seen a sea turtle in real life... she is so huge... i love her...
I read your previous posts... and I LOVE roosters but I don't have any decorating my home...just haven
t got the right place to out one...
and... I like the stone cottage...
Hugs and Blessings..
Barb xxx

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

No wonder Myrtle is 80 years old eating her Brussels sprouts, cabbage and lettuce! It must be an exciting thing to see her swimming in this large tank.

Related Posts with Thumbnails