Saturday, August 2, 2014

Robert Frost: Poet Extraordinare

This is the third and final post on the late New England poet, Robert Frost.

Whoever may be interested to see previous posts, they can be found here     and  here.


When Poet Robert Frost and his family lived at the Stone House in Shaftsbury, Vermont, they had chickens, a cow, a dog and a horse!



According to information printed on framed boards inside the house today, Frost was quite a farmer. He planted 1000 apple trees on the property as well as birches and other varieties.


He thought that most trees were "portentous and dark," it was revealed, except for birches which he considered "ladies."

The family loved hiking and walking together.

Frost and his wife, Elinor, home-schooled their children and taught them about animals on the farm as well as about birds and flowers.


When his life-long love, Elinor, died, Frost was, understandably, heartbroken. 


One could almost feel the sorrow in his heart when he wrote the following poem, which is displayed at The Stone House.

I don't know whether he wrote it with Elinor in mind, but he may have:

       "These woods have been loved in and wept in
        It is not supposed to be known
        That of two came loving together
        But  one came weeping alone.

        Yet the confirs sigh to the warblers
       That  list to their lofty tops
       And their bark sheds tears everlasting
       Of silvery roisen drops."

 DO YOU LIKE POETRY? IF YES, WHAT KIND

6 comments:

Bookie said...

Love Frost. These lines are not familiar to me. Will have to find the poem for more reading!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this series of posts. The home/grounds are so beautiful. You have shared personal notes about Frost and his family that I was not aware of. I think birch trees are so pretty!
I do like poetry. I have 2 blog friends who are published poets!

diane stetson said...

I love the poems by Shel Silverstein. I read them to my children when they were growing up.

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: I love poetry although it is always very sad. Frost wrote a very personal poem. Keep in touch

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Yes, Susan, I love poetry. I like poems that rhyme, I think they are my favorite ones. Robert Frost is a favorite of mine too.

Have a peaceful Sunday, dear.

love,
~Sheri

Chatty Crone said...

I had never read that poem before but I felt his love for his wife there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails