Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Sweet Treat


As most of you know, there are recipes to keep and others to try and then toss.

The winner of the winners for caramel corn came from an Orville Redenbacher recipe pamphlet.

I found it literally decades ago. 

There is absolutely no reason to go scouting for another recipe  cuz  this one is unequivocally the best!

 
It's so buttery,  sweet, and well, just delicious.

I make lots of it every Christmas and give it to guests in small holiday-themed plastic bags when they leave.

It's kind of a gift-from-the-hostess offering.

Trust me. If you love caramel corn, you will never need another recipe.  Here's the recipe:



                 Sister Mabel’s Caramel Corn



2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed

½ cup light corn syrup

½ pound Land of Lakes butter

¼ teaspoon cream of tartar

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

6 quarts of Orville Redenbacher’ Gourmet

    Popping corn


In saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, cream of tartar and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring over medium high heat. Stirring constantly, boil rapidly to hard ball stage (about 5 minutes or 260 degrees on a thermometer) .

Remove from heat.

Stir in baking soda quickly but thoroughly; pour at once over popcorn in large roasting or baking pan.  Stir gently until all kernels are coated.  Bake a t 200 degrees for 1 hour, stirring 2 or 3 times during baking. Turn out at once on wax paper; spread apart and allow to cool completely. Break apart; store in tightly covered container. Makes 6 quarts .

DO YOU LIKE CARAMEL CORN?

9 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

Susan, yummy is right! It is addictive.

Stephanie said...

Yum! I love caramel corn around the holidays :) My mom makes caramel corn out of Chester puffs instead of corn and it is amazing! You can't eat just one :)

Hugs to you, dear Susan!

diane.stetson said...

Not a fan of caramel corn but I'm sure your guests will devour it. Good idea to give it to people who visit you.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Oh Susan,
I am a huge fan of popcorn and this recipe sounds like a real winner!
Yummy!
Hugs,
Jemma

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Oh yes I do love caramel corn! I bet you're not surprised. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: great recipe. I really like popcorn with caramel. I am very greedy. Keep in touch

Bookie said...

I love this stuff! We aren't supposed to eat it in this house so I don't make it anymore. Sometimes I buy a little special bag somewhere and we enjoy and then go on!

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi Susan: I can't miss a week of stopping by and saying hello to my dear friend. Hope you are doing well and are ready for the big day. Love you lots. Martha

Chatty Crone said...

I have a great recipe for caramel corn - love it - but it has a lot of sugar for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails