Tuesday, May 24, 2016

"Frijole" Soup




One of my favorite soups, believe it or not, is a special bean soup that I first tasted when living in Central America.

It's "frijole" (pronounced frih-hole-ley).  Now, frijoles are small, dark beans that can be found in packages in most supermarkets. 

Here in the United States, however, they are not called "frijoles" ----just small, dark red beans.


We use a crock pot to cook them, usually overnight on a low setting.

For the soup, hubs adds boullion cubes dissolved in boiling water.  

Then, he adds onion powder, maybe a touch of cayenne or red pepper flakes and, if available, fresh chopped cilantro or green onion.

Oh!  And he cracks a raw egg into the hot broth, too, and lets it harden a bit.

I also like to add a big dollop of sour cream on top. Mmm mmm mmm

The result is a truly luscious soup. 

We always eat it with warm, folded tortillas. 


This might not appeal to everyone but I love frijole soup!

HAVE YOU EATEN BEAN SOUP? DO YOU LIKE IT?

13 comments:

Gosia said...

Looks really tasty and so tempting recipe

Gosia said...

Looks really tasty and so tempting recipe

TARYTERRE said...

that soup looks interesting, indeed. I'm not a bean eater, but my husband loves them and would enjoy this delightful soup. we love trying NEW things.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I love soup! And fresh hot homemade tortillas are so delicious! We just had red beans and rice for lunch -- of course, I make mine vegetarian (no ham hock or sausage like I used to), but they are still delicious.

Linda O'Connell said...

Looks and sound yummy. My hubby would love it.

Chatty Crone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chatty Crone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chatty Crone said...

I love any kind of bean soup!!! This looks great. Why the egg? Interesting.

Red Rose Alley said...

Your frijole soup looks soooo good, Susan. I was wondering what that was on top.......sour cream. My mom used to make homemade beans and rice, and her beans looked similar to these. Your frijole soup and warm tortillas......Yummy.

love, ~Sheri

Nellie said...

Beans (bean soup) were a staple in my diet when I was growing up at home. Never did add any spiciness to it, though.

marianne said...

Your bean soup looks so good! I will have to get the recipe from you.

When my husband and I lived in Tennessee, I taught 2nd grade. The cook at the school made the most fabulous black bean soup. She would save all the "heals" from the bread that was used for sandwiches during the week and toast that up with lots of butter and garlic powder and serve that with the soup. What a treat that was! Yum! It has been 40 years and I still remember that bean soup....

diane.stetson said...

I'll pass on the soup but your new "header" is very pretty Susan.

stinoos said...

recommandé de lire Fendi Dolabuy index Goyard Dolabuy blog ici sacs répliques hautes

Related Posts with Thumbnails