Sunday, November 5, 2017

Windowsill Art

Several years ago, when leaving a Vermont bed and breakfast, the innkeepers gave us a African violet as a gift.

I guess it's a custom followed with all of their guests.

My paternal grandmother used to have African violets and, as recalled, they were kind of persnickety to grow. 

Well, I'll be darned, that little Vermont-grown African violet is still perking.

It livens up the sill of a small window in the kitchen.

(Some of the flowers are real and a few sprigs are faux, found at a yard sale.)

Nearby are icons of Blessed Mary and a little turkey, made in Poland, is there, too.


Three members of an Indonesian cat collection are on the right side of the sill.


Variety is the spice of life, right?

DO YOU DISPLAY WINDOWSILL ART?

6 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

That's a nice departing gift for guests. Love all your little decorations. I've got avocado seeds lined up in my windowsill. :)

TARYTERRE said...

what a lovely gift for sure. all your knicknacs are precious too.

diane.stetson said...

I used to have African Violets..none of them lived. I do NOT have a green thumb at all. Just have suncatchers for decorations on my windows in the kitchen ...a lovely harp from Ireland is one and two from Solvang..a little dutch gal and boy and a Treble clef. That's the extent of my décor..ha.

Red Rose Alley said...

Your African violet is still going strong, Susan. And the picture of Mary and Jesus is beautiful. Love that turkey from Poland too. The way my kitchen is set up I don't have a windowsill, although I do have a BIG sliding door in my dining area and I can see the world passing by.

love, ~Sheri

*come by and see the baby when you get a chance. : )

Chatty Crone said...

My aunt and my MIL could grow those - but boy they are sure hard to grow - I remember them telling me that - yours was so beautiful!

Red Rose Alley said...

Thank you, Susan, for your very special comment about the baby. It brought a tear to my eye. We're so thankful for this little one. : )

love, ~Sheri

Related Posts with Thumbnails