Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Homekeeping Hearts Are Happiest



In the 1800s, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote a song.

The meaning of the words still rings true today, especially when the weather is blustery and miserable.


Temps have plunged greatly in many parts of  Massachusetts and skies are slate gray.

It's a perfect day to stay home, if at all possible.

Two verses of of Longfellow's song follow:

"Stay, stay at home, my heart, and rest;
Home-keeping hearts are happiest,
For those that wander they know not where
Are full of trouble and full of care;
To stay at home is best."

"Then stay at home, my heart, and rest;
The bird is safest in its nest;
O'er all that flutter their wings and fly
A hawk is hovering in the sky;
To stay at home is best."

DO YOU LIKE STAY-AT-HOME DAYS?

8 comments:

Patti said...

I LOVE at-home days. I am very much a home body.

Chatty Crone said...

I love stay at home days very much. That one photo of the flowers - looks like there is a pearl inside the center - beautiful.

SImple and Serene Living said...

I love stay at home days. I am having one today. xo Laura

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Oh yes! I'm in my season of living life from the heart of my home and loving it.

I like those Longfellow verses ... very fitting.

Wishing you a beautiful day, Susan.
Brenda xox

Linda O'Connell said...

I always loved when school was closed due to snow days. All I needed was a cup of hot chocolate and my fleece blanket, and a book. I love my home, but prefer to go out somewhere, any where for a short while, and then return to my homey little home. How have you been?

diane stetson said...

I love stay at home days when I usually never get out of my housecoat....I like to catch up on movies I've taped or read or just enjoy being. Hope you are feeling better today. stay home and rest.

Red Rose Alley said...

Home is my favorite place to be, Susan. I really like the stay at home song. It gets crazier out there in the world every day, and our homes are a safe haven for us to be. Stay warm and cozy in your house during these cold days you've been having. Maybe make yourself some hot chocolate. Doesn't that sound good? : )

~Sheri

Mrs.T said...

I love stay-at-home days. Any day when I don't have to go out of the house for any reason (unless I want to) is a good day for me. Today it's super cold and windy (13 below zero with the wind chill!) and I do have an appointment this afternoon, but the rest of the day is mine and I have plenty to do indoors.

You may get a smile out of the way I got to this post. I had just scanned a Christmas card and was going to post about it on my Christmas blog. It has the quote "Home-keeping hearts are happiest" on the front of the card. I wanted to learn more about the quote and its context, so googled the phrase. Your blog was one of the links that came up.

Thanks for blogging about this!

Related Posts with Thumbnails