Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Backyard Surprise


White lights in a yard, illuminating trees at night, are very appealing.

They are something I've always loved and wanted.

This summer, a couple of weeks before he died, hubs climbed a ladder and strung white lights in a small tree behind the fountain.  

He always wanted to do things that would make me happy. 

 I was thrilled with the lights and that made him happy, too.

Then, the squirrels decimated the wires and hubs went to God.  

It was pretty devastating.


One day recently, when returning to the house from doing errands, there was a note on the table from my daughter and a small black switch device.

The note told how she was continuing her father's legacy of  doing things to make me happy!  

Walking to the glass window with panes at the top of the kitchen door, I pressed the control and voila!  Gorgeous white lights illuminated the tree near the fountain and were strung clear across a portion of the yard to another tree.

What joy! What loveliness!  

What a kind and loving gesture on the part of my daughter.  It made me cry, which, of course, is par for the course these days. 

There are lots of tears these days.

That night, the night of the lights, they were happy tears.

10 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

Such a wonderful and thoughtful gift. I do love the look of lights in the greenery!

diane stetson said...

My son has lights in his backyard too. They look very elegant. We do not have squirrels where we live. I hope this new set of lights lovingly done by your daughter will NOT meet the same fate as the last ones your dear husband put up for you. Very pretty.

Chatty Crone said...

I love, love, love those lights in the back yard. How sweet of your daughter to continue on for her father.

Nellie said...

Love those lights! Wonderful of your daughter to do this for you! Sending you special hugs!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Susan, what a very special thing your husband did for you by putting up the lights in the tree. And for your daughter to want to bring happiness to you just like your husband did is very special too. The back yard looks wonderful, and there's just something about twinkling lights that bring a smile to our faces and uplift our spirits. Thank you for this post today, Susan. It was, indeed, a beautiful one.

~Sheri

ellen said...

How loved you are! What a blessing to have such a loving husband and daughter. I'd be crying, too. Thank you for sharing what you are going through. It's so beautiful for you to share this kind of love. Prayers still going out for you.


Susan said...

Thank you, Ellen. Do you have a blog? An email address? Let me know. You are so kind.Susan

Nancy's Notes said...

What a special thing to do for you! Your daughter is just so kind and has a beautiful heart. I love the lights!
Wonderful post.
Nancy 💖

BECKY said...

Oh, Susan! I also love tiny white lights! They're so magical, aren't they?
Your husband was such a loving man, and what a lovely daughter you have, too.
Sending you lots of hugs.

Laurel Wood said...

How very loving and kind of both your husband and then your daughter. I adore the lights in your yard. God bless you, dear Susan.

Related Posts with Thumbnails