Friday, February 3, 2023

Childhood Tradition in the Kitchen

Some memories from childhood are extremely clear and bring one way back in time.

As a child, upon entering my late maternal grandmother's home, a distinct smell of cooking immediately hit one's nose.

She made some absolutely delicious Polish dishes throughout my growing up years.

She emigrated to the United States from Poland during her teenage years.

A signature dish was golumpki, often called stuffed cabbage or cabbage rolls.

The dish consists of cabbage leaves, boiled until soft, wrapped around a meat filling.

 Golumpki in my late grandma's tradition consists of hamburger, rice, eggs, chopped onions fried in oil, ketchup mixed with water to pour on top. 

Grandma always added little squares of cooked salt pork, too, but I have always skipped that tradition.

 Once in casserole dishes, the golumpki are cooked for about an hour and a half. 

They are SOOOOOO delicious.

(Dziekuje, Grandma.)

WHAT IS ONE DISH FROM YOUR OWN CHILDHOOD THAT YOU STILL LOVE?

2 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

This Polish dish looks delicious, Susan. My dad, as you know, was part Polish, and my mom used to make him a few of his favorite dishes at times. It's so nice that you have memories of your grandmother's home and the wonderful smell of her kitchen. I remember my mom making Perogie from time to time. ; )

~Sheri

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Yum. Oh yes, cabbage rolls are a favourite food memory of my childhood as well. Recipe is similar to your grandma's: cabbage boiled soft and then wrapped around a mixture of rice, gr beef, and onion. There might have been small bacon pieces in the mix, but I'm not sure now. With tomato soup poured over top and baked 1 to 1 1/2 hours until tender.

We called them holupski (something like that). My dad's family was Polish and my mom's was German. I don't remember my grandmothers making cabbage rolls, but I remember Mom making them (and me sneaking fingerfuls of rice mix while watching her - haha). They were a favourite holiday or company dish.

Thanks, Susan, for the memory trigger. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails