Sunday, June 30, 2024

Last Survivor...

 

During recent health challenges, people came to the apartment and, on three different occasions, brought gorgeous floral bouquets.

My usual custom is to gently trim the ends of the flowers that come in bouquets.

 That way, the flowers can get a better drink of water.

Adding a bit of flower food, also helps to keep flowers healthy and alive. 

Well, the day finally came when the roses, some carnations and daisies, and a few other kinds of flowers called it quits.

Their leaves turned brown and crinkly blossoms fell gently in little plops onto the table beneath them.

One gentle lily has become the bravest flower of all.

She stands all alone in the small water-filled vase. 

She must feel so proud of herself for being the last floral survivor.

I'm proud of her and I'm not even a flower.

She kind of represents what someone hopes will happen----to be the last flower in the vase, facing life as it comes, one minute at a time.

Brave, proud, and alone, she will thrive until her own time and demise finally comes.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE LIKE THE LAST SURVIVING LILY?

3 comments:

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Like you, Susan, I like to gently trim and keep bouquets of flowers as long as possible. That surviving lily has an iridescence to its fading petals which makes it still look quite lovely.

As to your question, I don't know if I'd want to be the last blossom standing. Of course there is a resilience and courage to it lasting to the end, but it's also a lonely place to be. My mom is a prime example - all her siblings are long gone, her husband is gone, and most of his family is now also gone. Old friends have passed away long ago, and her newer friends age and pass on. Mom notices the loneliness of being the last one standing of her generation. And it gets harder to make new friends at this stage of life (she'll be 89 this year).

That feels a little sad and I don't mean to put a shadow on your lovely post. I love that your lily has given her best to adding happiness to your life. And I think that is what we ourselves can do if we happen to be the last rose standing - ever looking to brighten someone else's day.

Happy Sunday, Susan, and thank you for the chance to ponder your question.

Diane Stetson said...

I had to discard my yellow mini roses yesterday that I had for over a week. Roses do not last long. BUT. I looked out my window and I have a single calla Lily growing which is a coral shade. That made my day.

Shug said...

Happy Sunday Susan. It is always sad to have to discard of beautiful flowers. I always change the water ever two days and I also add ice to keep them longer. I have received flowers that have lasted for weeks, and I have also received flowers that made it only a couple of days. A good florist is important. They know how to process flowers when they come in, to extend their life. This lily has done well and I know it has Brought you much joy. As much as we all want to be the Important ones, it is kinda sad to be the only one left.

Related Posts with Thumbnails