Monday, May 16, 2016

A "Shady" Post



Years and years ago, when we lived in Arizona, I walked into a Cracker Barrel Restaurant Gift Shop.

Immediately, I fell in love with a pink fringed lampshade and bought it on the spot.

It was one purchase I have never, ever regretted.

As you can see, it's very old-fashioned looking.  


At the time, our daughter, who was a little girl then, cut out hearts and taped them inside the shade, adding to its charm.

When we moved cross-country, back to Massachusetts, a lot of our stuff got sold at yard sales.

Not the pink shade, though.  It made the trip with us, paper hearts and all!

It's now used on a lamp placed in a front window of the living room and still, after all these years, looks nice.

Here's another true lamp tale.

I found a cranberry (deep pink) lamp base in a thrift store. However, it was missing a shade.




For a long time, the lamp base was stored in a cupboard.

 Then, while shopping one day, I found a deep pink shade that was a perfect fit for the lamp.

The two have been together every since.

DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING YOU BOUGHT A LONG TIME AGO AND STILL LOVE AND USE?


10 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I think that was so wonderful that your daughter cut hearts out and you saved them all this time. And you still have it. And you bought it from Cracker Barrel - I like that place. I do love the new shade you bought too. Your home is romantic.

Bookie said...

My nightstand is a handmade table that is rough and doesn't even sit completely square. It was handmade by a man who had also made his own tools in about 1910 or that era. He lived next door to us with his wife when they retired from the farm. She gave me the table when I was a teen and I have kept it. Hubby can't understand and is more than willing to build me a nice oak piece...but this is what I want!

TARYTERRE said...

what fabulous lamps. so pretty. the hearts can melt a heart. i love the stories of how they came to be. my hubby made a lamp many many years ago that adorns our table in the family room.

Merlesworld said...

Yes many things, I'm very fond of old lamps and clocks.
Merle............

diane.stetson said...

My son made me a coffee table when he was in Junior High woodshop class and I still have it in my family. I can't bear to part with it. Now he's forty this year..ha ha ha.

agatek said...

Hello :)
Feel free to me for photos Lilacs.
Beautiful lamp.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

So sweet that the paper hearts are still in the shade. They look like they were meant to be there. And I absolutely love that last lamp shade. It is perfect with the base. :)

Linda O'Connell said...

Those lamps are real beauties, Susan.

janice15 said...

Glad you kept that ponk sahde with the hearts your daughter mad. Those are the best memories to have. Happy Wednesday with love Janice

Red Rose Alley said...

I love that cranberry lamp and Pink shade. They go together just right, and looks a bit Bohemian, which I love. Yes, there are a few things that I have that I will never part with. :)

~Sheri

Related Posts with Thumbnails