Sunday, April 28, 2019

Dolls from Poland


Because part of my heritage is Polish, my heart skipped a beat when spotting a dapper duo of Polish dolls in an antique store.

I loved their intricate costumes, the colors, and, especially, the gent's feathery  cap.



Perched on a shelf, they were old but pretty and cost $15.00.

 That was $5 down from what the shop keeper originally wanted for them.



The white parts of their outfits were very yellowed with age.

The clothes cannot come off the dolls, (possibly glued on?), so it seemed almost impossible to whiten the yellowed fabric.  





It's also unknown what the arms and legs of the dolls are made of so it'd be really quite problematic to put them into soap and water for a good soaking.

Still, the Polish dolls are pretty and appealing.

DO YOU LIKE TO FIND OBJECTS REFLECTIVE OF YOUR ETHNIC BACKGROUND?


9 comments:

Terra said...

Your dolls are a great find, and high quality with details.

Zacisze Lenki said...

Beautiful dolls in Krakow costume. Greetings from Poland.

Laurel Wood said...

What a find! They are beautiful and look very well taken care of. Someone must have treasured them for a long time and I'm so happy you have given them a new home. Enjoy your Saturday afternoon.

diane stetson said...

Bought a Polish doll when I was in Poland and she is sitting on a bed in my spare bedroom. Love ethnic things especially of my heritage.

Red Rose Alley said...

Your Polish dolls are a great find, Susan. Their painted faces are delightful, and the clothes really show the heritage. I know what you mean about wanting to clean them though, and it looks like it would be hard to do with these dolls. But when we find dolls of our own heritage, how can we pass them up? I have a couple Polish dolls, and although they are very small, they are treasures. : )

Enjoy your dolls, Susan!

~Sheri

TARYTERRE said...

these Polish dolls are pretty indeed. a great way to share your heritage.

Chatty Crone said...

Did you buy them? I had no idea you were Polish. My hubs is 100% Polish. I thought you were Italian.

Alicja said...

Miło czytać że w dalekim kraju ktoś pamięta o polskich korzeniach. Pozdrawiam z Polski :-).

Linda O'Connell said...

I saw one of these at Goodwill, but had no idea, they were from Poland. You always find such treasures.

Related Posts with Thumbnails