Friday, June 28, 2019

The Glory of Trees


Trees, especially those that are hundreds of years old, are quite majestic.



There are few things more relaxing than to be on a backyard lounge and looking up into the branches of old trees.

The sun filters through the millions of leaves, leaving a patchwork of bright patterns on the grass and on everything else in sight.

It's soothing to wonder who else, in another age, looked up into the leafy branches.

Who, indeed, planted such trees or did they just grow naturally?


 My absolute favorite poem about trees is by Joyce  Kilmer.  I think my mother used to recite this poem and it always made me smile.


Thanks to Joyce Kilmer, wherever she is, for writing this beautiful tribute:

                                                      Trees
                                                   By Joyce Kilmer

                                  I think that I shall never see
                                  A poem as lovely as a tree.

                                  A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
                                  Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

                                  A tree that looks at God all day,
                                  And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

                                 A tree that may in Summer wear
                                 A nest of robins in her hair;

                                 Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
                                 Who intimately lives with rain.

                                  Poems are made by fools like me,
                                  But only God can make a tree.

Please tell us your favorite tree and why?

                                                          

6 comments:

Kit said...

My favorite tree is an apple. When we were looking for a house to buy, I just wasn't feeling any of the ones we had looked at until we met my home to be. Out front were two large apple trees trained as shade trees. They were just starting to blossom. I was sold! We've been here 29 years and they're going strong. :) Kit

Chatty Crone said...

Didn't everybody have to learn that Tree Poem? I did and will never forget it. I will send you a picture of my tree from the Kennesaw National Battlefield - it had to be a baby when the civil war was here. The sister tree died and I am worried about this one.

Merlesworld said...

I do like our gums after rain the smell is wonderful
Merle.........

Experience invest reviews said...

Great content as usual!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

My IG posts yesterday were about trees and soon I will do a blog post. No favorites where trees are concerned. I love them all!

diane stetson said...

I love the majestic redwood trees here in California. Some are thousands of years old. Also the Sequoias. You can drive your car through the trunk of one of them when you visit there. Closer to my home I love the purple Jacaranda trees and in my own yard I love my orange and lemon trees. When I was a child I loved the weeping willows near my house and the chestnut trees. I guess I love all trees and I also love the poem by Kilmer.

Related Posts with Thumbnails