Tuesday, December 17, 2019

A "Sweet" Tradition

Traditions at Christmas time evoke memories of past times and present fun.

One of the diehards in our house is the construction and subsequent decoration of gingerbread houses.


Many years ago, a recipe from a delightful book titled "A Family Raised on Rainbows"  by Bev Nye, outlined with details how to mix the dough, bake it, and then cut out roof, sides, back, and front of a house.


The book was given to me decades ago by a dear friend, Lola.

The cardboard cutout models that are traced onto freshly baked dough, straight out of the oven, are kept from year-to-year. 


Royal icing provides the "cement" to put the houses together and it is no-fail.


Then comes the fun of decorating with oodles of all kinds of candies. 



Heavens only knows how many little houses have been made and decorated throughout the decades but I'd venture to say in the hundreds.

Any leftover scraps of dough can be made into cookies and decorated!






HAVE YOU EVER MADE A GINGERBREAD HOUSE?

    

4 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

I've always wanted to do them, but have not. The closest I came was decorating a huge box like a darling gingerbread house for our Santa House at school. It got rave reviews.

diane stetson said...

Never have made a gingerbread house...just gingerbread with whipped cream. It must take a lot of patience to make those Susan...great job.

Chatty Crone said...

I think I have - but maybe I just helped out. Yours look so cute - love the chocolates on them! HEHEHE

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

I baked pretty much everything but a gingerbread house. I regret that too. I love them and they would be so much fun to decorate. Yours are very cute. Merry Christmas, Susan!

Related Posts with Thumbnails