Wednesday, December 30, 2020

The Skating Penguins

 Once, many years ago, in a specialty shop, a small music box caught my attention.

The top of the box was a "lake," really a mirror.

On it, stood several tiny penguins.

After winding up a key on the bottom of the music box, the penguins began to ice skate.

They twirled and glided to the heavenly music.

The music box cost $20 but in my wallet was a lone $10 bill.

Looking at other treasures in the store, it was hard to concentrate since my feet kept returning to the penguin music box.

Finally, mustering up all the courage possible, I asked the clerk if she'd sell it to me for $10.

 

 

She hemmed and hawed but, in the end, agreed to the $10 offering.

Today, we are down to just two skaking penguins.

The  music box is still one of my favorite holiday decorations and has been for years.

WHAT, IF ANYTHING, DO YOU LIKE ABOUT PENGUINS?

6 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

Those were really popular in the 70s. I had one. Enjoy.

diane stetson said...

I have the sane music box...love penguins...they look like little men in tuxes ....so cute.

FABBY'S LIVING said...


I love penguins, they're so cute ! We have them in Galapagos Island and I saw the bigger one when we went on a cruise around the south of America, Argentina, Chile, etc. They're are amazing !
I love your penguin box, it's unique, you hardly see them now. I only have penguin tree ornaments from my trip.
Thank you for your sweet comment.
Hope you have a great year, filled with good health, fun and blessings.
Un fuerte abrazo querida amiga,
Fabby

Babs said...

So cute.

Nellie said...

How considerate of the clerk to sell that music box to you! I’ve wished to collect something like that. Just like you, though, I’m always at least $10 short.:-)

Jeanette said...

I love that music box and its a great memory! I love the way penguins waddle when they walk!

Related Posts with Thumbnails