Wednesday, January 6, 2021

A "Tiny" Miracle

My beloved late godparents gave me the present of my dreams for about my sixth Christmas.

It was a Tiny Tears doll, made in 1950, by the American Character Doll Company, and very popular throughout that decade. 

Oh, how darling she was with her close cropped dark, curly hair and adorable face.

She came with a wardrobe, too, and a small baby bottle.

After being fed,  if her tummy was pressed, tears came down her sweet face and then, of course, she wet her pants.  

 I called her Michele, after a cousin of mine.

She was a faithful companion , going everywhere with me, including church. 

We were attached at the hip. She was sooooo special to me.

Whatever happened to Michelle as the years ticked by, I have no idea.

College, travel, marriage, and kids of my own took up many years. 

 

From time to time, Michele came into my thoughts and they were always precious, making me smile.

Fast forward, many decades.  There are grandchildren now and this past Christmas, my daughter handed me my last present. (She saved it for last, too!)

I ripped off the paper and lifted the cover of the box.

There was Michelle or, at least, a spitting image of the doll of the my childhood.


Grammie burst out crying and held the little doll, loving her with all her heart.

See?  Sometimes "tiny" miracles really do happen.

DO YOU HAVE ANY OF YOUR CHILDHOOD TOYS?

6 comments:

diane stetson said...

What a special surprise Susan. I remember how you loved that doll as a child. I have no toys from my childhood. I didn't really have a favorite...except maybe my two wheel bike which really isn't a toy. Ha ha.

Linda O'Connell said...

Oh my goodness, this made ME cry. I am so happy you have your baby love back in your arms again.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

What a sweet and special gift, knowing your love for dolls in general. I still fondly recall when my firstborn was a toddler and went through a phase of carrying a babydoll everywhere we went. We could not leave the house without his doll. My Baby Beans has been with me for about 50 years now. She used to have a string at her neck that you could pull and she would say a few things. I left her outside one night in the rain and she never talked again. :/

Jeanette said...

I grew up with three brothers so most of my toys were destroyed! I do still have 2 Barbie dolls and a couple dresses though. I went on eBay a few years ago and bought a Cheerful Tearful doll. I remember receiving one for Christmas when I was about 8 but have no idea what happened to it. Then I bought one for my best childhood friend because we played with them together all the time.

Laurel Wood said...

What a thoughtful and delightful gift. I was born in 1957, and received my Thumbelina doll a few years later. I have several childhood photos with that doll. She went everywhere I did! I still have her and often get her out from safe keeping and just hold her, she still has that new doll smell even though she was loved and played with,

Fulbright Ireland said...

Loved reading this tthank you

Related Posts with Thumbnails