Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Penny the Pig


Many years ago, when my local granddaughter was little, I bought her a darling pink pig.

She named her "Penny."  

 Penny was also an appropriately named piggy bank so she became a toy that served a good purpose, namely, saving money!

My granddaughter loved feeding Penny and did so at every possible opportunity. 

 Penny was just (and still is) the most adorable oinker imaginable.

The years went by and Penny started getting very heavy, indeed.

Then my two east coast grandsons started helping to feed her.

This month, Grammie decided to take action.

Twisting and banging the round stopper underneath Penny's tummy, it lifted off. 

Looking inside the pig finally revealed a belly full of dimes, nickels, pennies,  and quarters.

Mightily shaking Penny, the contents of her tummy tumbled into a gallon-sized plastic bag. 

The plan was to bring the loot to the supermarket and pour it into the counting machine.

However, after hearing how one could retire for the rest of life by finding a coveted, lucky penny, dime, nickel, or quarter, it was decided to wait to cash-in the stash.

 Uh oh. Gotta go. Penny's hungry again.

WHAT IS ONE OF YOUR OWN FAVORITE GIFTS TO BUY FOR  A CHILD?

3 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Penny the Pig is so cute, Susan, and I loved the story that went along with her. She has quite a stash that has been collected all these years. I never had a piggy bank (that's what they were called back in the day) when I was a little girl. It was always fun to imagine having one.

~Sheri

Linda O'Connell said...

That is a really cute piggy. I know someone who goes to those coin machines and buys ALL of the coins at the end of the day and has gotten some very valuable coins and real silver.

I buy my little guys a small surprise every week. Whent hey come over tomorrow I will ask if they want to take a bath after messy play...and I'll have a large rubber shark in the tub. Tee hee.

diane stetson said...

A favorite toy that I bought my oldest grandson when he was little was actually a book which came with a CD of music and narration and each time he came to my house he asked me to get that book out and he would pretend to read it. He's become a voracious reader now that he is a teenager and I hoped I helped him to enjoy books. I love the little pink pig.

Related Posts with Thumbnails