Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Angels in Disguise



Health is wealth.

"Ain't that the truth?"

It's so human to take something like health 100% totally for granted until it's gone. Then, one yearns for the good old days.

Recently, I visited a family member in the hospital. While I stayed only a few hours, it felt like an eternity. All I can say is, "God bless nurses." They are truly angels in disguise.

Hospitals, while necessary and the place to be when one is very sick, still freak me out. Patients have very little say in such an atmosphere. Procedures are strictly followed and routine is rigidly enforced. After all, lives are at risk.

Hospitals could not stay open without nurses. They are the backbone of that kind of establishment. It takes very special people to be nurses and they have all of my respect. Nurses put the needs of patients first. They have to remain quiet when sick people yell at them. There are smells and sights on a daily basis that would make others retch. To nurses, they are part of a typical day. Nurses have to take orders from doctors and everyone knows some of them are not very nice.

Nurses should be paid a bare minimum of $100 an hour for all they do but they make a lot less. That's a wretched shame.

When I left the hospital after my visit, I took a deep breath of the cool autumn air and feasted my eyes on trees with brilliant yellow leaves shining like gold in the afternoon sun. Immense gratitude for my own good health filled my heart to overflowing.

Never again do I want to take good health for granted. It's a treasure with untold value---better than anything money could ever buy.

Thank you, God.

1 comment:

diane stetson said...

Aren't you glad we have a nurse for a sister? xo Diane

Related Posts with Thumbnails