Monday, October 26, 2009

Candles Light Up The World



From little ones on birthday cakes to tapers in sparkling crystal holders, candles add a festive touch to any special occasion, dinner, or room. I have always used candles in decorating our home.
Candle light flatters, especially when a woman wears sparkling earrings or other jewelry. It’s romantic and can help create an appealing atmosphere.
In a bathroom, votive candles in deep red glass holders can make a bath special. It’s like creating one’s own at-home bed and breakfast establishment!
For more years than I care to count, I have proclaimed Yankee candles as my number one favorites. When the kids were little,our family used to take trips to Yankee Candle Company in South Deerfield. In the fall we'd take hay rides on their grounds and everyone had a blast.
Yankee Candles are wonderfully fragrant and come in a huge variety of scents. Visiting the company now is more like a Disney experience. The company has grown and so has their flagship store. There’s a lot to see and do there now and a day trip is great fun for adults,as well as children.
Awhile back, at the supermarket, there were some candles in jars and I bought one called Orange Cinnamon. It was made by a company called Village, based in Maine. When I burned it, a rich scent of oranges, cinnamon, cloves, and mandarin filled our front hallway. If I left the French doors to the dining room and living room opened, the fragrance filled those rooms, too! So today, I admit that Village Candles are pretty much on par with Yankee. Both companies do an absolutely great job of producing quality candles with huge varieties of delectable scents.
On a recent trip to Weston, Vt., we walked into a general store across from the famous Vermont Country Store a delicious sweet scent filled the whole place.
“What’s that wonderful smell?” I asked the girl behind the counter. She lifted up a glass container with a burning candle. The scent was Maple Butter and it was a Village Candle! Of course, I had to get one. When I burned it recently, a guest walked into our house and said,
“I smell pannycakes.” That made me chuckle. At least the candle isn’t fattening!

1 comment:

Diane said...

I have candles that are at least ten years old in my house...I just think of fire danger when I light a candle...but to each his own. Enjoy your candles Susan. xo Di

Related Posts with Thumbnails