Thursday, January 7, 2010

All Things Are Possible


Have you heard about the favor of the Lord?

While I know, from my own religious upbringing, that God brings blessings to our lives, I had never officially learned about His favor until I heard Joel Osteen, a television evangelist, speak about it.

Totally unaccustomed to television preaching, I made an exception to listen to Joel, on the recommendation of my two sisters who greatly admire him. He's a highly acclaimed author, too, and senior pastor of Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas. He has hundreds and hundreds of people in his congregation. His wife, Victoria, is co-pastor of the highly popular ministry. She's as personable as she is beautiful. I'm currently reading her book, "Love Your Life: Living Happy, Healthy, and Wise."

Sure enough, he was an uplifting, inspirational speaker and handsome to boot!.

One night, he spoke on how the Lord's favor comes to believers and fills them with blessings beyond their wildest dreams!

Okay, I thought. I'd like a china cabinet to store my crystal and cut glass items, but I have very little money for such a piece of furniture. I drew a sketch of what I'd like it to look like. Then I let my friends and family know I was on the lookout for a china cabinet.

Let's see if the favor of the Lord will help with that request, I thought, and sent up quite a few heartfelt prayers.


Shortly after, a dear, long-time friend called to say she found my china hutch on a sidewalk display in front of a discount furniture store in a town one hour away from our home.

She urged me to come and look at it. My amenable husband agreed to come for a ride with me. We drove up to the store and gazed in disbelief at the china hutch. It was an exact replica of the one I had drawn! Exact!

A side glass panel was missing and a section of the mirrored back was broken. Mismatched knobs also had to be replaced. Consequently, instead of the original more than $1,700 price tag, we could have the china hutch for less than $500!


The phrase "the favor of the Lord" kept flashing in my head like a neon sign.



Today, the side panel and mirror have been replaced and my collection of crystal and cut glass looks elegant in the china hutch.

Never again, as long as I live, will I doubt the favor of the Lord.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Great story. Great china cupboard! I'm so happy for you, Susan.

Incidentally, that word "favor" is implied in one of My personally favorite words - "grace". Grace is unmerited favor received at Christ Jesus' expense.....Don't you love it?

diane stetson said...

I don't own any china or crystal but your cabinet and the things in it are very elegant. I remember when you got it and how happy you were. It makes a glowing light in your dining room. xo

Karin said...

I love that story! I really like Joel Osteen too, but we don't get cable anymore.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

So glad you found your china cabinet...neat story! Your crystal is gorgeous displayed inside. :-)
Susan

La Tea Dah said...

A beautiful, beautiful story! I needed the reminder of God's grace today. THANK YOU so much!

LaTeaDah
Gracious Hospitality

Related Posts with Thumbnails