Saturday, June 4, 2011

Flowers as Art



A very dear long-time friend has reached teacher level in  "Ikebana, " Japanese flower arranging.

For the past 30 years, she has faithfully taken classes in Western Massachusetts. They are taught by a Japanese native who helps students turn flower arrangements into art.




Lucky for our household, my friend often comes by after class and leaves the arrangements she's created. She said she's learned so much more than just arranging flowers. The classes teach how to have an eye for beauty, color combinations, the relationship of space to flower, patience, and so forth.





In the Western style arrangement she brought this week, bright yellow spider mums resemble Fourth of July fireworks!  They literally burst with beauty. 















In addition to greenery, she also added deep pink "Alstroeneria."  They are lush and exotic looking. The stamens inside the flowers look like elongated trumpets, delicate and unique.




Placed in a crystal vase, the Ikebana Western arrangement is giving a great deal of joy and adding a touch of flower art to our kitchen counter.



HAVE YOU HEARD OF IKEBANA?

7 comments:

Annesphamily said...

This was a beautiful and informative post. I loved the beauty in the various arrangements and the colors of the flowers are so beautiful and vibrant. I am glad I came by. Happy weekend to you! Anne

Linda O'Connell said...

beautiful arrangement, Susan.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I have heard of it but don't know much about it. I am thinking there are many in this country who could use a few lessons in floral arrangements. If you see the arrangements the "florists" make, or what people request for delivery, you would think "what the heck?" I don't find them attractive at all. When I walk in with my recycled glass jar and ask for a simple arrangement, they think I'm crazy! I like crazy! Ha! Best wishes, Tammy

Bookie said...

These are lovely flowers. How lucky you are to be on the receiving end of your friend's study!

Chatty Crone said...

No Susan I have never heard of IKEBANA! That for me is one of the benefits or gifts that blogs give us - I learn something new every single day - today it has been three already!

Plus you get to meet and have warm and fuzzy friends!

You are lucky to know this gal and receive her beautiful gifts!

Love, sandie

The Old Parsonage said...

Hi Susan

I love the color combo and spider mums are fun to begin with!

Aren't you just the lucky girl?

Leann

Anonymous said...

I love the beauty plus the simplicity of the arrangement. :)!Have a wonderful Saturday dear friend.Having trouble commenting in my google account(LOL)
Chris http://everydaylifeblessings.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails