Thursday, June 23, 2011

Gardenia Plant for Father's Day


This past Father's Day, it was fun to make one of my hub's mini dreams come true. After all, he's always been a totally dedicated father.

I felt it was important to remember him with something special on Father's Day, after all the love and sacrifices he's made for decades of his life.

For his major gift, he received a gardenia plant. I purchased it the day prior to the holiday and then hid it on a side porch.  Sunday morning I hoisted it into the house and put it on the kitchen table.  He got quite a surprise when he came down to breakfast.

It was wonderful to have our daughter and son-in-law join us for the Father's Day breakfast.




 














My hubs and I both love the scent of the regal gardenia. One creamy white bloom can fill a room with fragrance. It's soooooo beautiful.

Now, it is my fondest hope we can keep this lovely plant alive. The girl at the nursery said to give it plenty of sun and water.
    
     "The more sun it gets, the more flowers it will give,"  she said.

My late Mom carried a gardenia bouquet on her wedding day so the flower has sentimental significance for me.

My hubs also received solid purple plus purple and white striped petunias from me.  I wanted him to plant them in the window boxes in front of the house. Does that make the petunias less of a gift? (Oh well...:)



HAVE YOU EVER HAD A GARDENIA PLANT? DID IT LIVE?


6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I'm sorry to say I've never had a Gardenia Plant. I do remember the smell of them though. How nice he likes things like that - I don't think my hubby would know one plant from another.

Looked like a great father's day.

diane stetson said...

I remember Mom loved gardenias and had them in her wedding boquet...I've never planted one but I love the smell of gardenia perfume. I'm sure your husband LOVED his new plant. If I know him he will keep it blooming for a long time.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love gardenias! It is one of my favorite flowers...the fragrance is amazing. We have a huge Gardenia plant in our yard and I wait for it to bloom each year! Good luck with yours. hugs, Linda

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

We've had them indoors but they don't survive and Lord knows they couldn't handle the outdoor temps. :/ Good luck with yours. Sounds like it was a nice Father's Day. Best wishes, Tammy

Linda O'Connell said...

I love other people's flowers. I am not a good flower mama.

Claus said...

I HAVE two gardenia plants (shurbs?) at home. They are wonderful! They grow and grow each year, not up to some 1.5 meters tall. From other gardenias around the neighborhood, it seems they can go taller. They are my mother's favorite, and each year they make us happy with many blooms. Indeed, plenty of water and lots of sun. Careful with ants! It's been my experience they like the new leaves and branches, and could not only eat them, but also start a disease.

Related Posts with Thumbnails