Thursday, March 15, 2012

Oh, A-Thrifting We Will Go



Thrifted items for the home can provide a lot of beauty for little money.

Trust me.  I have been to more estate and yard sales than could ever be counted and many times  came away with terrific bargains.

Estate sales of people who have died are my favorites. The family usually wants to unload things  quickly. If I see the words "All must go in one day,"  it's almost impossible to pass up.

 Plus, I feel the person who has gone to the other side would be pleased to see things put to good use and make buyers happy!

The large rococo mirror shown below came from an estate sale. It's truly a high quality piece and, after some fine negotiating, I shelled out an unheard of $30 for it! This type of mirror can cost in the hundreds of dollars.



Once I attended an estate sale in a fairly moderate neighborhood yet the things inside the house were exquisite and very high quality.

Luckily, I found out later the person who had died had also won a lottery and became a millionaire!  He never left his original home but he bought the best of the best in furniture and decorations. How lucky of a find was that sale?

It was at his house that the brass lamp, shown above, was found. It cost $20 and was originally, no doubt, very expensive as it's very heavy and in great condition.

The bust of the beautiful girl next to it I purchased, if recalling correctly,  in Home Goods.  Isn't she attractive and very Victorian looking?

Let's see. This very fancy candy dish came from a yard sale. I keep it on the table in the hall and fill it with chocolate kisses or M&Ms.  One feels like a Queen Mother lifting off the top!


So it's true that thrifted items are out there and can be purchased at incredibly low prices compared to their original cost.

Today we are joining a party at Home and Garden Thursday on Kathy's terrific blog A Delightsome Life. Stop by and you'll find lots of wonderful posts to read!

DO YOU LIKE FINDING THRIFTED ITEMS FOR YOUR HOME?
DO YOU LOOK FOR SPECIFIC ITEMS WHEN YOU GO TO ESTATE AND YARD SALES?

9 comments:

Lady Linda said...

Hi Susan...such gorgeous items, oh my my my! You sure hit the jackpot.
Yes, I'm an estate saler and I love it. I've been doing it for about 35 years. I didn't go too much when my girls were little, but have gotten back into it. I now look for Etsy items and things that interest me or my dollies!
I love thrift store shopping too.
You have a very good eye for things.
Love, LInda

Heirloom treasures said...

Oh my,do I love that gold statue,in fact I love everything in your pics.
I do sometimes get bargains,but a lot of times the dealers are the ones who seem to get there first. They quite often go too high for me at auctions too. It is still fun though,especially when you get a treasure. Happy Hunting
xx jeanetteann

Anonymous said...

I love old things. These things you're showing us today is beautiful. I like the crystal bowl and the gold statue. so decorative.
Have a lovely day

Eva

Zinnia said...

Wonderful pictures, I especially liked the little figurine of a girl's head. I often go to church flea market. I wish you a wonderful day! Zinnia

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

When I am in the States for the summer, I love to go to garage sales and consignment stores/thrift shops. It's amazing what you can find sometimes. And why would you want to pay top dollar when you can get some fantastic things on the cheap. You certainly found some lovely items. Hope your day is a good one. Tammy

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Well Susan you know I love thrifting and sales of other people's stuff. You have found some gorgeous items for sure! I have been to a few Estate Sales but they aren't usually close by and with gas prices I just stick to my near by thrift stores. Love that mirror and that candy dish....amazingly gorgeous! hugs, Linda

Karen Lange said...

Enjoyed a peek into your home! That mirror was indeed a find. I need to go out thrifting with you sometime. You have a knack for it!

Happy weekend,
Karen

Chatty Crone said...

I love to look at thrift stores. I have never been to an estate sale - I would love too. You have some great items there. sandie

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

WOW!! I need to go shopping with you!
Beautiful pieces!
My entire house is mostly filled with thrifted items!

Hugs,
Deb

Related Posts with Thumbnails