Friday, June 20, 2014

Window Box Flowers


As much as I love plants and flowers, if the truth be told, I don't have much of a green thumb.

Thanks to magazine articles, blogging posts and Pinterest, one can learn a lot about what to plant and where.



So when it came to the window boxes in the front of our house, I wanted a change from petunias and impatiens this year.

At a farmer's market a few weeks ago, I went around asking flower vendors if they had "million dollar bells."



Most looked at me rather weirdly and said they didn't. 

Then, one dear soul said, "We have million bells but not million dollar ones."


                                             (See my dollhouse peeking out of the window?)
Was my face red!  

Ha!  Guess I had a million dollars on my mind. 



Anyway, I found coleus for the middle of the boxes and million bells (the dollars flew the coop) for the sides.



Last year's vinca vines were wintered over so  those went in front so they'd trail down!

They are all growing nicely and I'm happy with the results!

DO YOU HAVE WINDOW BOXSES?  IF YES, WHAT FLOWERS DO YOU USE IN THEM?
 IF NO, WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE THEM?


11 comments:

Merlesworld said...

I had a window box on my front veranda but I must of overwatered them [it was made of wood]and the plants fell out as the bottom rotted away.
Merle.........

Linda O'Connell said...

I know a master gardener who spends a million dollars on flowers for her wealthy clients. I love window boxes. your s is pretty.

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: Nice pictures. I see your doll house through the window. Great picture. Beautiful plants. I do not have flowers in my windows. I have fear of falling down. Keep in touch

Musings, Tea, and Me said...

Your million dollar bells made me laugh! Hats off to you Susan for creating such lovely windowboxes, too.

We don't have them although when our neighbor plants hers I sure enjoy them.

I have one little bird nest planter that I've filled with million bells for the third year, now. I pick a different color each year. I topped them with this mossy stuff to help retain moisture since the nest is so small and the days get so hot.

Oh, and I saw on someone's blog these wonderful things called "water dots" to retain moisture in potted plants.

Can't wait to see your window boxes as they fill out!

Lady Linda said...

Good morning my friend...love your story! How funny, I have some of those and didn't know their name at all.
I have two window boxes...one on each of our cottages. It's the one place I don't plant real flowers. It gets so hot in the afternoons and I just fill them with yellow and white flowers. It makes me feel kind of bad. I'm afraid the boxes may not last if I plant in them.
Your boxes are lovely.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Susan, what a funny story. My face would have been red too!

I do not have any window boxes, but I would love some. They are so "cottage living" to me.

By the way, my thumbs are quite brown too, especially when it comes to indoor plants. Those usually die within weeks of entering my house.

Blessings on your day,
Patti

diane.stetson said...

Window boxes are so popular in Bavaria. When I was there I loved looking at them. Yours are lovely. I do not have a place for them at my house..I have mostly sliding glass doors instead of windows.

Debbie said...

Yes, I have nine window boxes. They are packed with all different flowers. Million bells are in there with all the other flowers.
You did a great job on your window box!!
It depends on where mine are located, as to what flowers are planted in the boxes.
Debbie
xo

marianne said...

I do have window boxes and think they add so much charm to a home. Right now I have purple, blue and white pansies in the front boxes and pink petunias by the sunroom. In the evening the fragrance wafts into the room and is heavenly. They will stay all summer.

The prettiest and most lush window boxes I ever saw were in the seaside resort of Cape May, NJ. There were many stately Victorian homes there and they all had fabulous window boxes on the upper and lower windows; very elegant.

Looks like your window boxes are off to a good start. Glad you found the Million Bells! Like the candle in the window behind the pretty lace curtain, too.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I would love a window box! Your's turned out pretty and worth a million bucks! :)
hugs,
Linda

Valerie said...

This post made me chuckle. Sounds like something I would do. ;) Love your window boxes, so unique and full of color. I see the doll house peeking through...Love it!
Blessings,
Valerie

Related Posts with Thumbnails