Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Mummy's the Word

 (A modern depiction  a mummy case, Denver Museum of Nature and Science, Mummy Exhibit. More information from the Egyptian Study Society, http://www.egyptstudy.org)


Ever since childhood, when my elementary school class visited a museum with an ancient mummy exhibit, I've had a deep interest in mummies and the history that accompanies them.


So you can imagine how thrilling it was, on a recent vacation to Colorado, to discover an entire Egyptian mummy exhibit at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.




Two mummies there reflected the differences in class.




One mummy was a woman from a poor strata of society, another who was from a wealthy background.

 Part of the exhibit shows what one of the mummies may have actually looked like!  




Fascinating stuff!





It's always fascinating to see the cases in which the mummies are kept, too.

p.s. All of the photos and printing beneath some are directly of the Egyptian Mummy Exhibit at the museum, so many thanks to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science!

  It was an extremely fascinating exhibit.

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT MUMMIES?

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

I can't believe you were only a couple of hours away from where I live - small world :)

Looks like you ad a great time. Enjoy your week, dear Susan!

Merlesworld said...

Not a lot, when I found out a lot of the slaves were buried along with their masters to look after them in the after life, I lost interest in them, the rich and upper classes of society have a lot to answer for even back in ancient times.
Merle.......

Nellie said...

How very interesting! That trip to Colorado has given you some very interesting blog material! Thank you for taking us along.

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: interesting exhibition. Years ago I studied the world and culture of Egypt and mummies ... are embalmed dead people who were eternal waiting for a better life. Keep in touch

Karen Lange said...

Sounds like an interesting trip! I find history interests me more now than when I was in school. Maybe we appreciate it more as adults? Thanks so much for sharing your adventure with us! :)

Have a great rest of the week,
Karen

diane.stetson said...

Whenever I travel I always ask if there is a museum near where I am as I LOVE any kind of museum. This looks really interesting. I'm definitely going to have to visit there someday!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I was so lucky to see the King Tutankhamen exhibit when it came to the US many years ago. It was fascinating!

hugs,
Linda

SImple and Serene Living said...

I think mummies are extremely fascinating. IT is amazing how much we can still learn from them. xo Laura

Bookie said...

Well, you really "wrapped" this post up! Ha. Mummies...interesting!

Babs said...

Ii wonder if the one in Bekshire Museum is her cousin!

Chatty Crone said...

Andy did his research paper on mummies last year - he would love this!

Dee said...

Interesting....it is always interesting to learn about other cultures and traditions...can you imagine? 3000 years old. I bet the mummy did not know she would be looked at so much in the future. Gosh...I wonder if that could happen to us if the world lasts another 3000 years?

Related Posts with Thumbnails