Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Tale of the Dandy Chandy

                                                            (The one round bulb has replaced since this photo was taken.)

On rare occasions in life, hitting the jackpot has nothing to do with winning money.

 This post is about one of those occasions. 

Habitat for Humanity is an organization that does a lot of good for a lot of people.

Volunteers build or refurbish houses, (among other things) , for low income families who, otherwise, would be unable to live in their own homes.

Habitat encourages contractors, home owners, and anyone with materials used around the house and garden to donate them to their retail stores, all of which are called Restore.

On a Saturday morning excursion with my husband, I entered a Restore, looked up at all the light fixtures hanging from above, and nearly keeled over when I spotted a truly fabulous chandelier. 

It looked like it may have hung in the foyer or another room of a Victorian mansion.



The price on it made me dizzy----$12. I came closer, thinking my eyes were deceiving me but no, the tag was clearly marked $12. 


 Walking away, I kept taking deep breaths. 

Could it really be?  

Was this some kind of mistake? 

Back to the light aisle, I stood, transfixed, staring at the little beauty.


Finally, a saleslady who was also the manager of this particular Restore, said she'd lower the price to $10, if we were making additional purchases.

 Of course, we were and the chandy went right into the trunk of my car.


To me, lover of all things old, it's a keeper. 

                                                 (Underneath the chandy, looking up!)

Of course it took some refurbishing and I added lots and lots more baubles. 

As luck would have it, I found an entire mason jar filled with them in a second hand shop!


The chandy now hangs on an enclosed side porch and I love it!

When it was finished, it was like the pumpkin turned into Cinderella's coach.



DO YOU LIKE CHANDELIERS?

9 comments:

Kit said...

Oh my! What a fantastic find. I could feel your excitement as I read. Yes, I love them too but alas I don't have a place where I could hang one. I will enjoy yours with you. :) Kit

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: great find. I really like the lamp. Very good price. Very cheap. In my town there are no shops like that. Keep in touch

SImple and Serene Living said...

What a beauty. I used to buy a lot from the Habitat store near me in North Carolina, but the one here is over priced. xo Laura

d said...

Oh you will enjoy looking at that chandy especially since you fixed it up. What a great price. I do not have any in my house. They would look out of place here but in yours they look terrific!

Nellie said...

How elegant! None in our house.

Linda O'Connell said...

What a beautiful chandelier. Daughter bought a dining table from that organization.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Oh, it is most lovely and what a bargain! I am so happy for you! :)

Chatty Crone said...

You are always in the right place at the right time - love how you took a picture from the bottom up - beautiful piece.

Dee said...

Wow...what a found treasure. My grand son told me about the habitat resale stores..now I will definitely have to visit one. There is one in Ann Arbor just down from my grandsons work place.

Related Posts with Thumbnails