Saturday, January 17, 2015

Grandma's Handiwork



Both of my grandmothers came to the United States from foreign lands.

My life was blessed to know and love  both of them for  many years.


Neither let a single thing go to waste.

My maternal grandmother was a native of  Poland.  


She made lovely little containers from old Christmas cards.  

Even though I'm a grandmother, myself, I still have a couple of her card containers. 

 You can imagine how old they are!

The old-fashioned scene on the following  card is one of my favorites.




So long ago, she stitched them together with bright, red yarn.

I love to look at the cards she selected. Many are ones I would have chosen.

Grandma was a wonderful seamstress, too. She made pajamas, without patterns, for all her grandchildren every Christmas.

Her crocheted pieces were actually examples of fine art.

Sadly, she lost her eyesight to macular degeneration and spent the last six years of her life in darkness. 

Her days of creating beautiful objects reflecting her handiwork were over forever.


Today, when I see one of her card containers in my home office, it never fails to make me smile.

HAVE YOU MADE THINGS FROM CHRISTMAS CARDS?


13 comments:

Sandra said...

Paper crafting is an art I am just taking up this year. Slow going; but I find it is fun. You have some real treasures from your grandmother.

Chatty Crone said...

You know what I used to do - I don't send cards anymore :( or get many - but that it okay - but what I used to do is cut them out and buy a piece of poster board - then I would put them on it and make a collage, seal it with a light coat of modge podge and use it as my desk mat for the year - it was great.

Chatty Crone said...

PS I loved what your grandma made - that is so wonderful. I didn't know your grandmother came from Poland - so did my husbands - both sides of his!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello,i'm from Poland and You just remind me about boxes made of postcards-i did ones when i was a child..thank You...

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: your grandmothers were very creative. I like the new uses of Christmas cards. I of remembrance I keep in a box. Keep in touch

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Oh my! You know I love those! How wonderful that you have them and they have withstood the test of time. :) A friend's grandmother was a fabulous quilter and crocheter but sadly she lost her sight in her final years, too. Must have been very hard for them. Hugs and blessings, Tammy

mariannne said...

When my kids were young we would cut scenes from Christmas cards and they would use a hole punch to make a hole and then tie a ribbon or yarn thru it to make gift tags for the next Christmas. A little piece of tape would secure it on the package. I would save this project for a "snow day" from school as it was a wonderful way to use the cards and keep them busy to boot!

I, too, have one of Grandma's "card" baskets and love to use it during the holidays. A fond remembrance of her.

Gosia said...

My distant aunt did those boxes but it was 30 years ago.

Journeyin' Lady... said...

I have never made anything with my cards. Almost every year I save them for a few months thinking that this year, I may use them somehow but never do. I remember seeing these little card baskets when I was a child but can't remember where or who made them! Yours are absolutely wonderful memories!

Bookie said...

Interesting pieces of work...my Gran made wastebaskets from magazine pages.

Linda O'Connell said...

Those are absolute treasures! You are lucky to have that bit of nostalgia on hand.

Sandi said...

"I love to look at the cards she selected. Many are ones I would have chosen."


You are a lot like her! :) That is very interesting.

These are beautiful. Amazing what Grandmas can create!

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Susan ... I have an old container with a lid made like this with Christmas Cards... I love it...
Your Grandmother's baskets are beautiful...
Hugs ... Barb xxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails