Thursday, October 8, 2015

Polish Golumpki


My maternal Polish grandmother made golumpki, or stuffed cabbage rolls, throughout my entire childhood and then into my grown up years.

She always turned out quite incredible made-from-scratch food. 



Even though they are  tiny bit labor intensive, I have carried on the tradition of making golumpki.

Core and then boil the whole head  of cabbage.  Since I boil it more than an hour, the leaves become very tender.



Drain, let cool, and gently place the leaves on a platter.

The filling is hamburger (I use the three-in-one blend that's mixed for meatloaf),  a stick of butter, about two cups of chopped onions, a couple cups of white rice, mixed with brown, salt and pepper to taste and three eggs. 

This time I had very fresh eggs from the farmers' market.

Some people swear by adding chunks and liquid from fried salt pork but I don't.

Brown the onions in the butter, then add the rice.  After that, mix everything else into the hamburger. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Then, I take a cabbage leave in my left palm and put in a good-sized plop of filling and close up.

I place them in a glass pan that has been sprayed with Pam. 


When all the golumpki are in the pan,  mix about two cups of ketchup with a cup of water and pour on top of all the rolls in the pan.

A few drops of olive oil can be added to the tops of each golumpki.

Bake in a very slow oven----300----for  a couple of hours.  

Serve with warm bread or rolls and butter.  Delicious!

ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH GOLUMPKI? IF YES, DO YOU LIKE IT?


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who is polish who makes it in November her birthday month and brings me a big pan, I feel very privileged as I know how labor intensive it is she used ground pork and bakes it for a couple of hours huge pans of them..I helped her once it took us 6 hours to make let's see about 100 of those delightful morsels..I can even freeze the ones in the pan but they are so good we both dig in, even though my hubs never eats pork at all he loves these a lot so do I and they are really a lost art, made from scratch, but she only par boils the cabbage or a Ukrainian lady showed us you can freeze the cabbage and they come out great! Who would have thought of that but they do, her tomoato sauce is that with onions, garlic and thyme and rosemary, yummmmmeee~! They last for a good long while in the fridge and are a delight in our lives, it is a recipe she got from her 90 year old grandmother when she was 7 or 8 and has used it ever since..Thanks for providing the recipes most people never get to taste such a delight and to have this recipe is a bonus, happy fall and happy holidays!

Gosia said...

I love them and I make them very often. Love from Poland

diane.stetson said...

Oh yes I do make them whenever I have company and they are always a hit. Yummy yum yum.

Nellie said...

I have made cabbage rolls a few times before, and they are definitely labor intensive! We did enjoy them, but probably not enough to repeat the process very often.:-) Next time you do yours, let me know.:-) They would be worth a trip to MA!:-)

Chatty Crone said...

I showed this to my husband who is Polish and his mouth was watering! I do know what it is and I love it. You did a beautiful job on them.

Debbie said...

Ive never tried it... but it looks wonderful!

Unknown said...

Hello from Spain: I really like this Polish recipe. Your photos show that it is a very wealthy and tasty food .. We keep in touch

Linda O'Connell said...

My sister-on-law served these one Christmas. They were wonderful.

Red Rose Alley said...

I keep forgetting that you're part Polish on your grandmother's side, Susan. My grandmother was Polish also. This is a yummy dish, and I'm not familiar with it. I do remember my mom making a few dishes for my dad growing up. And don't get me started on the Polish sausages hahaha.

~Sheri

Related Posts with Thumbnails