Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day---A Day to Remember


Every Memorial Day in childhood, my mother would take us to the cemetery.

We'd see all the graves of soldiers, adorned with American flags.

Sometimes, when looking at dozens and dozens of veterans' graves, the enormity of their sacrifice would dawn on me.


It always made tears come to my eyes to think of all the lives that have been lost in the fight for freedom.

Today, Memorial Day will be celebrated once again.


Many Americans have barbecues planned today and it's a day off from work for many people.

Besides having fun, take a moment to stop and think of the reason for this holiday.

Freedom, indeed, is not free.

DO YOU CELEBRATE MEMORIAL DAY OR A SIMILAR HOLIDAY?

6 comments:

diane.stetson said...

I have my flag out flying in the breeze in honor of all the servicemen who have died as heroes serving our country in the many wars we've been involved in. Last night I watched the wonderful concert from DC honoring all the military services. It was very moving.

Chatty Crone said...

I have our flag out too. Not really a celebration of sorts - but I do remember the veterans and thank them. My husband was in Vietnam War. Have a nice day. sandie

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Have a good week!

Bookie said...

I was taught that things like flags and patriotic songs leave a lump in the throat...wish we could go back to teaching something like that.

TARYTERRE said...

A wonderful tribute on DEcoration Day.

Linda O'Connell said...

My flag is flying and my pants are snug from over eating. I drove past the national cemetery and saw flags as far as the eye could see. Very sad.

Related Posts with Thumbnails