Friday, June 23, 2017

Rhododendron


Our rhododendron bush is blooming profusely.  

We didn't plant her. 


She came with the house.

A memory comes to mind when I think of rhododendron.


When I was a little girl, my father always made up stories to tell us at bedtime.

One made us scream in delight because it was about a creature called the "Rhododuntie."



At the end of the story, he'd always yell out, "The Rhondoduntie's coming" and we would all squeal and put the covers over our heads.




Now, remembering those hilarious stories, I think he got the name "Rhododuntie" from rhododendrons that are so reminiscent in spring. 

Wasn't he a riot?

DO YOU LIKE RHODODENDRONS?  HAS A RHODODUNTIE EVER CHASED YOU?

6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Yes, I do like them, but no, not a one has chased me!

diane.stetson said...

I can't even spell it...so good for you.
Very pretty. Do not have them where I live and I do remember that story.

Sandi said...

Loved this! :)

TARYTERRE said...

rhododendron bushes are my favorite plants. loved hearing your fathers story. how sweet. that is no doubt where he got the name.

Linda O'Connell said...

Love this post.

Red Rose Alley said...

What a charming bedtime story your dad told you, Susan. And a pretty flowering bush in front of your house.

~Sheri

Related Posts with Thumbnails