Sunday, October 22, 2017

Home Sweet Home


"Stay at home, my heart, and rest . . . homekeeping hearts are the happiest" ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

 There was a time when Longfellow's quote sounded strange to me.

Stay at home?  Homekeeping hearts are the happiest?  Nah.


When one is young, home is often the last place one wants to be. It's go, go, go and discover the world!  Make new friends!  Have totally new experiences! Work hard and play hard!

Don't get me wrong, even after all these years of life, I still love to be on-the-go.

But the phrase "homekeeping hearts are happiest" makes a lot more sense now.

Home is where total relaxation is possible. 

Surrounded by things I love and have worked hard to obtain, there is peace and joy.

Soft pillows and comfy sheets on the bed, "Morning Sunshine" pastel yellow paint on the kitchen walls, lace curtains, darling dolls and magical dollhouses, beloved books, blooming plants, sparkling crystal, colored glass collections -- these are just a smattering of things at home that bring joy.



Indeed, I love staying home, even when I'm not resting.

  Thanks Henry Wadsworth Longfellow!


WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT STAYING IN YOUR OWN HOME OR APARTMENT?

8 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Susan don't you think that home is something you appreciate more with age? I do. I used to have to run everywhere - now I put up my feet - have tea and watch a movie!

Red Rose Alley said...

Home is so important to me. It's a place where we can lay our heads for awhile. I can see why you love home so much, Susan. And it's always a delight to see your blue glass pieces.....and that sweet angel. : )

love, ~Sheri

diane.stetson said...

I LOVE to travel but it is so good to be back at home and in my own bed. That is what I miss the most whenever I am away for awhile. Love the climate where I live and the sunshine year round and love the peace of my neighborhood which is very safe and beautiful.

Linda O'Connell said...

I used to go-go-go everyday, as did my mother and grandmother. The older I get the more I appreciate home.

TARYTERRE said...

i understand Longfellow's sentiment completely.

SImple and Serene Living said...

It's so true. There really is no place sweeter than home. xo Laura

Rebecca said...

I could not agree more....hard to be specific about all the reasons why. I think it's a comfort longtime in the making. Favorite sights, textures, sounds, and surroundings that reach out with familiarity and welcome. No need to IMpress or REpress. Simply to BE.

dayna said...

Home represents those experiences.

Related Posts with Thumbnails