Monday, August 20, 2018

An Old-Fashioned Kitchen


The kitchen is often the most popular room in a house.

After all, meals are prepared and often eaten there.


In the home where Nathanial Hawthorne, author, was born, in Salem, Massachusetts,  the kitchen has a huge fireplace. 


The fireplace, below, however, is located in the nearby House of the Seven Gables.

The next time I start to complain about cooking, I'll think back to what it must have been like to cook in Hawthorne's time.

That might be the end of my complaining forever.


There are herbs drying on a wall rack in the kitchen of the home where Hawthorne was born, and solid, rather plain furniture.



One custom that would not have set well with me was for the men to eat first, then the women and children! Uh uh. No way would I be comfortable with that.




Outside the kitchen door, there is a charming brick pathway. 

Would love that in my own house.


DO YOU THINK IT WAS HARD TO COOK IN A FIREPLACE?

4 comments:

diane stetson said...

Definitely harder to cook on a fireplace. I'm so glad I didn't live in those days. I love to look at how life was then but glad I'm living in modern times.

Red Rose Alley said...

I always enjoy looking at the old kitchens, especially the pioneer days. The utensils and stoves they used - it all fascinates me. That wall rack with the herbs is so charming. And the hutch is sturdy, which is what they needed in those days.

~Sheri

Chatty Crone said...

Men used to get to eat first - I never knew that. And you are right - I am going to go down and start making dinner without complaining - that looks so hard. sandie

TARYTERRE said...

cooking in the olden days was complicated to say the least. i prefer kitchens now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails